Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banned subjects

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't got time to read and answer this just now, I will take pleasure in it later. Just ponder on a scenario though, it is illegal to drive over the legal limit of alcohol, do you think it would be acceptable to discuss ways of getting away with this?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    The law is the law and that's the issue with it !

Woefully out of touch and woefully out of date , I genuinely feared for my families life until I changed the dangerous woefully inadequate Van Helsing's !

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Seeing the light...

'Just ponder on a scenario though, it is illegal to drive over the legal limit of alcohol, do you think it would be acceptable to discuss ways of getting away with this?'

No - but it would be absolutely right to discuss ways of preventing stupid people making fatal mistakes.

Thanks for your prompt response Crasher, but when you have had the chance to read my post fully then comment - and btw drink driving is a completely different matter; you cannot compare erroneous and outdated legislation with basic common sense: only a fool drinks ANY alcohol and drives and I would advocate a zero limit.
    What I am trying to do is encourage a debate on the utter inadequacy of the approach and guidance on HID lights issuing from the government in an attempt to provide proper and adequate information on how to upgrade dangerous vehicle lights legally and safely. We do live in a democracy and not all laws (if they are laws) are right or fair and need to be questioned in order to be clarified and changed (if you want an example, just look at the Highway code for starters...)
    I have read many motoring forums with interest and utter horror at the unquestioning banality and pedantry of some of the comments from drivers who simply should never have passed a proper driving test - which we don't have in the UK anyway, and therein lies the main problem with motoring pretty much anywhere in the world today... I joined the VW forum because I drive one, because I seek information, and because if 'one' owns a VW then it's not an unreasonable assumption that 'one' has some sense, but lets start with the lights, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, lost the will to live. It's all irrelevant now LED's are the new way, still illegal though.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

5. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And so endeth the sermon then... ? Crasher, presumably you are either fortunate enough to own a VW with factory fitted LEDs or you have saved up enough to cough up 2000 for VW replacements - bit pointless though if you have lost the will to live - just drive around for a bit longer on your 55W candles, that ought to do the trick.
    Not impressed with this forum I'm afraid - heads in dark places!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Saint View Post
    presumably you are either fortunate enough to own a VW with factory fitted LEDs
    Nope, my current "fleet" (3 are "resting") is listed below above the good words of W H Auden in my signature, ones current car is a 2003 Octavia VRS with incandescent bulbs. They WERE utterly feeble but I bought some cheap new units from ECP as polishing the faded covers is a waste of time and I fitted a pair of Philips +130% bulbs and I am now quite satisfied with them. If I want a bit more, a couple of relays on the dip beam circuit will bump the voltage up a volt and a bit and make a little difference but they are OK.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    An update to the HID LED subject that is particular to the Golf 6 is the new OSRAM LEDHL 102-BKRHD units which are fully road legal for use in the U.K. WITHOUT headlamp wash and self levelling system.

https://dammedia.osram.info/im/bin/o...f-VI_CL_EN.PDF

Vile Invention

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12