Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Post

Post Thanks / Like
    I fitted a towbar myself. Preferred the Witter Towbar (2 bolt ball) as I have a Witter bike rack. All fitted with no problem. As a former mechanic (Many years ago) I have fitted lots of towbars but the days of scotchloking the 7 core trailer socket onto the cars rear lights appear to be over, the overcomplicted electrical system of this car had me worried. Should I go for the cheap option & get a by-pass relay or put it into VW to have the job done correctly.
    Well I decided to go to VW & after being relieved of 597 I have a nice new 13 pin socket mounted on my Witter towbar.
    Yes 597 (130 for the electronic module & remainder for labour) shocking.
    2015 Golf S Estate 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryhillController View Post
    I fitted a towbar myself. Preferred the Witter Towbar (2 bolt ball) as I have a Witter bike rack. All fitted with no problem. As a former mechanic (Many years ago) I have fitted lots of towbars but the days of scotchloking the 7 core trailer socket onto the cars rear lights appear to be over, the overcomplicted electrical system of this car had me worried. Should I go for the cheap option & get a by-pass relay or put it into VW to have the job done correctly.
    Well I decided to go to VW & after being relieved of 597 I have a nice new 13 pin socket mounted on my Witter towbar.
    Yes 597 (130 for the electronic module & remainder for labour) shocking.
    That price is indeed Shocking !! Did you already have the well documented pre cut hole in the bumper ? That issue is also an example of VW sharp practice as the cover costs in region of 60 and the dealer I spoke to on discovering the 'hole' advised me that the cover was 'an accessory' !!
    2015 Golf GTD Estate 2.0 TDI-CR
    2013 Polo BlueGT
    1971 MGB Roadster

'Living the Dream' in the far West of Cornwall........

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes my car had the free hole already fitted in the rear bumper courtesy of VW. Probably there to assist in fitting towbars like I was. I gave the towbar & everything behind the bumper a spray with Scottoiler FS365.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bumper Hole2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	387.1 KB 
ID:	5171
    2015 Golf S Estate 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryhillController View Post
    Yes my car had the free hole already fitted in the rear bumper courtesy of VW. Probably there to assist in fitting towbars like I was. I gave the towbar & everything behind the bumper a spray with Scottoiler FS365.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bumper Hole2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	387.1 KB 
ID:	5171
    At least in your case the hole was an advantage !! No doubt you will agree that if no towbar is required , leaving such a large 'aperture' unprotected and allowing moisture , road dirt etc to collect in 'the void' over many miles is not ideal !! There is another thread going on this issue and my real gripe is the fact that VW still don't really take it seriously and supply the cover with the car at point of sale . By the way , your Forum name brings back many happy memories of growing up near Glasgow in the 60's and seeing Maryhill on the Corporation Transport Buses !!!
    2015 Golf GTD Estate 2.0 TDI-CR
    2013 Polo BlueGT
    1971 MGB Roadster

'Living the Dream' in the far West of Cornwall........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12