Thread: Touareg 2015 Engine stops during breaking when still moving at low speed

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Touareg 2015 Engine stops during breaking when still moving at low speed

When the star/stop system is operational and doing slow braking to junctions or slow traffic the engine cuts out when the vehicle is still in motion. It restarts when I lift my foot of brake and being an automatic it lurches forward.
    I have reported this to VW and checked at my local VW. They say it is the normal for the stop system.
    I feel the parking brake should activate before the engine stops.
    Is it legal to stop an engine when the vehicle is still in motion.??????
    I have asked DOT but no great reply, kept being passed to different departments.
    Last edited by Craigann; 11-07-15 at 22:14. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    This is something no one will know yet, you are going to have to drive another one to see if it is normal.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    The start stop system was indeed revised coinciding with the facelifted touaregs. Unlike the previous version they do stop the engine just before the car comes to a halt. Lots of owners are unhappy at the loss of steering assistance when just lining for turns/junctions. It is normal but I'm sure VW will have had more than a few complaints.

One improvement over the previous though is once stopped you can remove your foot from the brake without restart until you touch the throttle so works well in conjunction with auto hold. On earlier ones you can't use start stop and auto hold together because the car restarts when you take your foot off the brake.
    Last edited by GolfRLine; 12-07-15 at 21:11.
    2016 Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Tiptronic. Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic Air Suspension, 14way Electric Two Tone Nappa Sports Seats, Memory Pack, Tow Pack, Area View, Ambient Light Pack, Heated Steering Wheel, Pano Roof, Climate, Keyless Entry and Start, Google maps, blah blah etc, etc,

2016 Golf R-Line 1.4 TSI 150PS 7-speed DSG. Pure White, Keyless Entry and Start, Climate Control, 18" Durban alloys, Car-net Guide and inform + App-connect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like something they could easily deal with by a software update.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Sounds like something they could easily deal with by a software update.
    Agreed Crasher, I can't think why they decided to have it work like that.
    2016 Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Tiptronic. Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic Air Suspension, 14way Electric Two Tone Nappa Sports Seats, Memory Pack, Tow Pack, Area View, Ambient Light Pack, Heated Steering Wheel, Pano Roof, Climate, Keyless Entry and Start, Google maps, blah blah etc, etc,

2016 Golf R-Line 1.4 TSI 150PS 7-speed DSG. Pure White, Keyless Entry and Start, Climate Control, 18" Durban alloys, Car-net Guide and inform + App-connect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfRLine View Post
    Agreed Crasher, I can't think why they decided to have it work like that.
    I find this issue with the Start Stop to be almost dangerous and could lead to an accident: has anyone been able to find out if a software update can solve this?
    2015 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bought 2017 SE and it is just the same. Glad it's not just me - in a funny way. I assume no update as yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since my earlier post in this thread I have replaced my Touareg with the later version that has Stop Start working in this way. To be perfectly honest although it seemed strange at first Iíve very quickly got used to it and donít find it a problem at all. Yes the engine cuts slightly before you come to a standstill but if you ease off the brake, say because standing traffic in front begins to move away, the engine instantly restarts even before you touch the throttle so it canít really lurch forward.