Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Economy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Just think of it this way, if you have an EU4 petrol (2003 ish>) there is no planned legislation to keep you out of the proposed toxicity zones for 2020, unless you own an EU6 diesel (so roughly 2013 onward) you will be stuffed!
    So Crasher, what you are saying is that, as I have seen reported, the UK Government are going to cr*p all over diesel owners from around 2020, despite having promoted diesels in the late 90's/early 2000's, and encouraging manufacturers to develop "cleaner" engines (with the Euro 6 regulations)? I guess it is all about the particulates and nitrogen dioxide?

My engine I believe is a Euro 6 petrol, but petrol seems to be the choice of fuel going forwards?
    2015 Golf SV GT 1.4 TSI (100kW/150ps/147HP - Engine Code: CZDA). 7 Spd DSG. Aztec Gold. Alcantara Upholstery - Titan Black/Quartz. Dijon 17" Alloy Wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Governments are like huge supertankers with a rudder the size of a postage stamp, it takes an eternity to react. Twenty years ago the world went anti Co2 insane and it still is, everything in life is geared towards reducing Co2 at the expense of everything else. Many people knew going diesel was an insane idea, it's filthy stuff, the chap in my signature below was a poet who wrote about how awful diesel engines are in the late 1960's... It is also a crime against people who drive petrol engines vehicles that diesels are still given lower taxes than petrol, when I drive along in my 2003 EU4 petrol Octavia, I am cleaning the crap in the air coming out of the exhaust of the brand new diesel engined car in front of me, basically my exhaust is cleaner than what went in. Diesel was designed for specific commercial purposes where even a diesel hater like me understands they are what is required. As for what the current government will say is basically "the previous administration got it wrong", the usual excuses. Particulates and various oxides of Nitrogen, yes. These kill people, defintley, Co2 MAY exacerbate climate change, it is not proven, not even the most vociferous and ardent tree huger can prove man made Co2 is a problem, there is evidence but you could not hang a man over it.

The next nightmare we have coming to a showroom near you is the battery powered electric car, these are simply insane and to quote a chap on telly the other night "electric cars are communist". There are so many things I could point to where they don't work but they have been covered elsewhere. One that suddenly filled me with horror a few months ago is what to do with the old batteries? I was listening to some crap about battery life and how it would be around ten years and another bit said about the aims being 1 millions cars in around ten years. I wondered how much a battery in an average communist car weighs, it's roughly 500Kg. So a quick bit of maths says that a decade after we reach planned communist car sales we will have 500,000,000 Kilos (yes, half a billion kilos) of car specific, used, Lithium Ion batteries to get rid of, in the UK alone. Already Lithium Ion batteries cannot be recycled cost effectively so where will they end up? Landfill. Lithium is a mind altering metal used to treat mental illness but the batteries also contain Cobalt (a known Carcinogen) and Nickel, a poisonous metal and was voted Allergen of the Year in 2008, but they are considered safe for landfill-brilliant idea!
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

3. Thanks Chewystu thanked for this post
    Likes Sam&Anne, Chewystu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    2.0tdi manual. Really pleased with the mpg, I've not had less than 50mpg on a tank of fuel mostly motorway driving. Recently its increased to 55mpg plus.
    2016 Golf SV 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

After 2 years the average long term MPG is 46mpg, on a 20 mile run on A roads its almost impossible to get the average below 50mpg and not to difficult to see above 60mpg, best so far 67mpg.
    2015 Golf SV SE 2.0 TDI-CR, DSG, Stock

Post Thanks / Like
    Just filled up at a different Tesco to normal. Car "since last refuel" showed 51.4mpg (always optimistic!) with brim to brim giving 47.3mpg.
    Golf SV SE 2.0 TDI-CR, DSG, climate, KESSY, parking, winter pack, dark rear glass, park assist
    Engine code: CRLB
    Gearbox code: QMM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    There are so many things I could point to where they don't work but they have been covered elsewhere. One that suddenly filled me with horror a few months ago is what to do with the old batteries? I was listening to some crap about battery life and how it would be around ten years and another bit said about the aims being 1 millions cars in around ten years. I wondered how much a battery in an average communist car weighs, it's roughly 500Kg. So a quick bit of maths says that a decade after we reach planned communist car sales we will have 500,000,000 Kilos (yes, half a billion kilos) of car specific, used, Lithium Ion batteries to get rid of, in the UK alone. Already Lithium Ion batteries cannot be recycled cost effectively so where will they end up? Landfill. Lithium is a mind altering metal used to treat mental illness but the batteries also contain Cobalt (a known Carcinogen) and Nickel, a poisonous metal and was voted Allergen of the Year in 2008, but they are considered safe for landfill-brilliant idea!
    This has also concerned me too, 10 year lifespan with current lithium tech is also probably a bit optimistic on the part of manufacturers.

Also there are some severe logistical problems if we all started going electric....
    There is the little problem of the national grid having nowhere near the capacity to suddenly start charging millions of car's, at many kilowatts each, when people get home from work - it will crash the grid in an instant.
    2010 Golf 1.4 TSI, CAVD

8. Thanks Crasher thanked for this post
    Likes Crasher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

Plus all that fuel tax/vat on petrol and diesel that the Goverment will no longer get!

The government revenue from fuel duties was 25.894 billion in 2009. An additional 3.884 billion was raised from the Vat on the duty.

So what happens when we all drive electric cars, vans and trucks?
    Last edited by Mark55; 19-01-17 at 18:14.
    2015 Golf SV SE 2.0 TDI-CR, DSG, Stock

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark55 View Post
    Hi

Plus all that fuel tax/vat on petrol and diesel that the Goverment will no longer get!

The government revenue from fuel duties was 25.894 billion in 2009. An additional 3.884 billion was raised from the Vat on the duty.

So what happens when we all drive electric cars, vans and trucks?
    They will change the VED or something similar, like they are doing as of 1st April 2017.
    2015 Golf SV GT 1.4 TSI (100kW/150ps/147HP - Engine Code: CZDA). 7 Spd DSG. Aztec Gold. Alcantara Upholstery - Titan Black/Quartz. Dijon 17" Alloy Wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have had my 1.6TDi SE with DSG for two years now - average 52mpg (recorded at fill-up and NOT relying on on-board computer). Nowhere near what advertised but still pretty good. I use the ACC as often as I can too.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.6 TDI-CR 110PS, DSG
    Ordered: 2017 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion 2.0 TDI-CR 150PS

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an update on my 2.0tdi Gt 11,500 miles

on Eco mode I was averaging 55.5 mpg fill to fill

re set to sport 6 months ago mode same style of driving 58.5 mpg fill to fill
    2010 Touran Match 1.9 TDI 14k
    Year???? Golf GT 2.0 TDI

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast