View Poll Results: Does the Emissions Scandal Bother You as a VW Driver ?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 33.33%
  • No

37 41.11%
  • Dont Care

8 8.89%
  • Not Really and Issue

15 16.67%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Whats the Latest ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have just had a price for a remap on my Passat, I am now thinking to get this software update first just in case we are forced into it, then have the remap carried out after.
    2011 Passat BlueMotion Estate 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had my Golf done, no difference in any aspect of performance (500 miles so far), but got a nice letter from VW saying thank you AND a key ring, pen, umbrella and valet. There was also a recall out for fuel injector seals that was done at the same time.
    2009 Golf SE 2.0 TDI (CBDC 110 with 5 speed KQM) with Winter and Convenience packs + 17" Mercedes Monoblocks, 45mm drop on H&Rs, front fogs, FK badgeless honeycomb grill, FK LED rear lights, wind deflectors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine goes in on Friday, hire car for the day obviously on VW's cost. Not having it done is not an option in Germany, if you don't get it done then the KBA which is equivalent to VOSA/DSA in the UK will come and clamp my Touran. If I had the choice, I wouldn't try to fix something that isn't broken.
    2013 Touran 1.6 TDI-CR, CAYC 7 Speed DSG LHD

Post Thanks / Like
    The car has been in to VW and had the software update and the part fitted to the air filter housing. My initial observations are at idle tickover it's very smooth. Changes in Fuel consumption are as yet to be determined. The DPF now regenerates more often so do not be alarmed when the fan continues operation when the car is initially switched off.
    Last edited by DavidPugh; 23-01-17 at 10:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my Car into the dealer back in July Last year and every day now i wish i had not...., all of the things that VW said would not happen did. (increased fuel consumption, increased engine noise, reduced power) and as David Pugh says increased DPF regenerations. but & months from the recall has given me time to research. and the reason the DPF is regenerating more often is... more particulates being produced. i.e. Higher CO2 emissions!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Point with added CO2 emissions, I didn't come to that logical conclusion. Fuel consumption after three thousand Kilometers seems to be negligible but it's still too early to say. The NOx emissions are not measured in the annual roadworthy test which begs the question why not if it's so critical.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a mess all this is. VW say they have "fixed" over half a million cars and its very hard to get a feel for how many have problems, is it 10% or 70%, impossible to say. The VW exec in front of MPs said they have 3500 complaints but how much trust can you give that, he also added that 65% of these were subjective.

The impression I get from the slightly obsessive searching Ive done over the last year. The 1.6 seems to have more problems with EGR issues than others, older cars seem to be hit worse than newer cars and the Tiguan seems more likely to have problems than other models. Without a scientific survey this is just an impression, nothing else.

From the start Of the EURO5 to the start of EURO6 will have seen a good few changes in all models, things like fuel injectors, exhaust systems and engine mapping making it impossible to predict how your car is likely to be effected. Some of the later models, Sharan,Passat and Tiguan, have the SCR system using AdBlue that I thought would have been OK but they are not and still need the fix. No posts Found yet saying these later SCR cars have problems after the fix but a lot of posts don't identify their car well enough to be sure. The emissions hardware behind the engine of my 2014 car looks nothing like that fitted to my 2010 Golf estate with the same engine and both EURO5.

My own car a Sharan 2.0L late 2014 uses the AdBlue system and the fix letter says they will fit a damper to the fuel injectors and that AdBlue usage will increase. I have since learned that they significantly increase the fuel pressure in the injectors hence the need for the dampers. I phoned VW and asked directly if I would suffer reduced torque at low revs but they refused to answer only saying " its not compulsory - don't get it done if you don't want".

I would love to hear from anyone with a Sharan or any SCR equipped car that has had the fix.The fact that they can increase the AdBlue usage gives hope that other changes are less drastic.

I have been a loyal VW buyer for many years, my Saran is VW number 12, all bought new and another handful of used Polos for my better half. Will there be a No 13? the way I feel at the moment I don't think so Even if the current cars are super clean I don't want to buy one, they have ruined my experience with this one too much and of course we are not due any compensation because we have not suffered any loss - really!!!
    Last edited by charlesh; 27-02-17 at 11:42.
    2014 Sharan SEL BMT 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree

If VW tells you that this has not affected the resale value of the affected vehicles then they're not being realistic. The first thing any prospective buyer will do will make a drama out of the situation in an attempt to drive down the price, and yes that they knew before viewing the car it was affected is irrelevant - they're using it as a tactic in their favour, so is human nature.
    In Regards to the EGR issue, in Germany there have been a large number of EGR failures or premature clogging, and all are being rectified at VW cost both parts and labour - although no admission of liability has been acknowledged by VW.
    On a personal note as regarding fuel consumption - urban driving i.e. Mainly stop start town traffic my consumption has dramatically increased to around 13 l/100 kms real figure - this can be attributed to the DPF regenerating more often according to VW - seriously? It regenerates within a distance of 65 miles, every 65 miles??? Oh please!!! Will be examined in greater detail when the car goes in for its 60000 km service in the coming month or so. In the meantime I'm pretending I am driving my friends Dodge Viper when filling up the car.
    2013 Touran 1.6 TDI-CR, CAYC 7 Speed DSG LHD

Post Thanks / Like
    Research carried out by car value companies and Autocar showed there has been no drop in the value of any VW diesel products any more than ANY make of diesel car has dropped.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Research carried out by car value companies and Autocar showed there has been no drop in the value of any VW diesel products any more than ANY make of diesel car has dropped.
    Dont doubt what you are saying is correct Crasher but Im still suspicious. Glasses and Cap gather information from trade-ins to set their prices, who controls the trade in value at VW dealers ? VW will be happy to keep the value high to undermine any legal case for compensation, much cheaper in the long run. VW sales are high right now and a visit to my local dealer tells me why. Every new car has unprecedented discounts being offered up front, some have 8500 of list price, and there are loads of pre reg cars with even more off. VW are manipulating the market to their own ends. Good time to buy if your in the market. Examples a 16 plate Passat SE 1.6 Business zero miles 15000, or 16800 for the same car in 2.0L with DSG. A dealer can easily record these sales at a high trade-in price and less discount of the new car, thus bolstering the used value. Or am I just a suspicious SOB? In a years time when most of this is history will it all look different.
    Last edited by charlesh; 27-02-17 at 19:45. Reason: content
    2014 Sharan SEL BMT 2.0 TDI-CR

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast