Thread: Newbie with USB Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie with USB Questions

Hi all,

Just put a deposit down on a CC 140 TDi in GT Spec, manual gearbox in a lovely metallic red with rear tints. Can't wait to pick it up, it's replacing a very old 191k miles Vauxhall.

Quick question, I see the USB interface in the glovebox with adaptor cable. I understand a FAT 32 formatted hard drive can be used here, how big can it be? I see some using 750gb ones without a problem, is that correct? The radio is the fairly common touch screen one with 3 buttons each side, not the larger one with 4 buttons each side.

Any tips/advice on a new CC owner?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Which radio model do you have?

Any drive has to be formatted FAT32.

Well I use a 4GB USB flash drive in my Golf which has 320 MP3 tracks on it and it works perfectly. I've heard of people using a USB drive to add tracks but its not worth trying to fit one in the armrest.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response, think its a RNS315. Looks identical to one here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/rn...on-system-faq/

Don't want to do anything in the arm rest, but do fancy putting something in the glovebox. Say 250gb hard drive.
    2013 CC GT 2.0 TDI-CR 140PS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    Which radio model do you have?

Any drive has to be formatted FAT32.

Well I use a 4GB USB flash drive in my Golf which has 320 MP3 tracks on it and it works perfectly. I've heard of people using a USB drive to add tracks but its not worth trying to fit one in the armrest.
    Tried to reply yesterday, said admin needed to approve?

Think it's RNS315?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at some videos they mention Aux in, but mine also has the MIDI/USB connector in the glove box

Post Thanks / Like
    The only problem with large FAT32 USB sticks is that Windows doesn't expect you to want to format them using FAT 32, and so you don't see the option in the Format command. It's easily to find other FAT32 formatting software though to do the job for you.

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
    The only problem with large FAT32 USB sticks is that Windows doesn't expect you to want to format them using FAT 32, and so you don't see the option in the Format command. It's easily to find other FAT32 formatting software though to do the job for you.

Chris
    Thanks. Yes I've seen I need to use a 3rd party tool, but apart from that no issues with large 500+gb drives?