Thread: Mk 4 Golf 1.9 TDi power loss

Post Thanks / Like

Mk 4 Golf 1.9 TDi power loss

Has anyone got any ideas for a power problem i am having on my Mk4 Golf 1.9TDi. Everything runs fine until i am up at around 60-70mph at 2500-3000rpm. When you get to this speed you feel the car take a dip in power then i cannot get any decent acceleration. I get no indication on the dash of an issue. If i stop the car switch off the ignition then back on again it clears and i dont get the acceleration issue until i get back up to the same 60-70mph at around 2500-3000rpm. I have removed the EGR and cleaned this but it made no difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    First job is you need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ECU is going into limp mode, you need a fault code scan to see why. It is likely that you will have an excessive boost fault code such as 17965 (P1557) - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a scan and i am getting fault code
    17965 - Charge Pressure Control
    P1557 - 35-10 - Positive Deviation - Intermittent
    I cleared the fault took the car for a run and kept the speed below 70mph and 2500rpm fault didnt appear. As soon as i go over that and i get the power dip the fault code comes back again. Whats the best thing to check first that would cause this fault.
    2001 Golf 1.9 TDI

Post Thanks / Like
    As I said

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    It is likely that you will have an excessive boost fault code such as 17965 (P1557) - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation
    The most likely cause of this is contamination of the vanes inside the turbo and this means removing and stripping the turbo, it is an extremely common problem.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

6. Likes dervdave liked this post