Thread: Tyres + snow chains

Post Thanks / Like

Tyres + snow chains

Any recommendations for good all round tyres that perform well in summer but also give extra grip in winter.
    I think I understand from the (very complicated) handbook that I cannot put chains on the 20" wheels and I don't want the expense of an extra set of tyres and/or wheels so any suggestions welcome.
    2014 Touareg R-Line 3.0 V6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2

Michelin CrossClimate+

Nokian WeatherProof

3. Thanks cityman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cross climates and snow socks may be a good combination- the snow socks would possibly need less clearance to than chains.
    Used snow socks on a Golf more than once with great results.
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.

5. Thanks cityman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had Scorpion Verde fitted but the snow seems to be coming thick and fast in the Alps this year so back to the socks/chains. I know socks is the simple answer as I'm pretty sure chains will not fit. However I've seen some synthetic chains advertised that look more durable than the socks (and not much more expensive),
    They have a much lower profile than the steel chains so I'm considering these. Does anyone have any advice/experience?
    2014 Touareg R-Line 3.0 V6 TDI-CR