Thread: Polo 1.2 2005 power steering

Post Thanks / Like

Polo 1.2 2005 power steering

Hi, I've had intermittent issues with my powersteering for the last few weeks.
    I replaced the battery recently.
    The first Amber warning light flashed after going over a speed bump.consulted the web that pointed to a loose battery connection. Tightened everything up- amber light went out. I checked the fluid levels and all good.
    I reset my odometer to see how many miles before it happened again.
    It happened every 30ish miles but only on bumpy roads. Tightened everything up again and had no problems for 200 miles.
    Then Saturday afternoon I got the warning light again and the normal wiggle of the wheel and engine on and off didn't my clear it.
    Sunday tightened everything up( battery connections) and topped up fluid. Warning light went out.
    Drove 10 miles and the. Warning light started flashing then went constant.
    Turned engine off and on and again it flashed for a minute then went constant.
    I had to have it towed home due to not been able to safely steer the car.
    I dropped it into my local garage today and they phoned to say they couldn't pin point it because it's on and off (the flickering warning lamp) but they think replacing the whole powersteering module will fix it they quoted 550 with labour. i don't mind paying it but they seem uncertain of what he problem actually is.

Before taking it to the garage I checked he engine at and here is a panel on top of the battery where it appears fuses and wires feed into it. The fuses and wires were covered in what I can only describe as white powder. Could this be a problem? Could there be a loose wire somewhere?

I'm not shy about trying to have a tinker myself and I've fitted a new fuel pump, water pump and gasket on my previous cars.
    If anyone has any advice or suggestions.
    The car is still with the garage at the moment

Post Thanks / Like
    What fault codes did they get? The pumps can be unreliable but so can rack angle sensors.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't got that detail yet. I will ask them tomorrow when they phone with more details