Thread: Thoughts on Park Assist, is it any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on Park Assist, is it any good?

Nearly specced this feature but my nagging doubts prevailed.
    We often visit folks who live in a narrow street with residents parking
    on both sides such that the gap between both wing mirrors and the
    parked vehicles feels like 6" a side so you have to be very careful
    making progress up the street. Any spaces are limited and we have
    learn the skill in parking with the alloys 1cm from the kerb to hopefully
    limit any damage from passing vehicles.

Would the 'Park Assist' system cope with this situation better than doing
    the parking the old way (we often have to try reverse parking again to get it just right)
    or would it automatically 'kerb' the alloys or throw a 'woobly' in such a precise situation?
    Getting older so if it is reliable enough would be of hopefully a great benefit?

Your advice and experiences appreciated as may spec it on next car.
    Not sure I would trust the 'Salesperson's opinion.
    Last edited by kibby; 16-06-17 at 20:35.
    2014 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used it once or perhaps twice, when the space available was particularly awkward to get into, and haven't had any problems with the car hitting the kerb. The latest version also reverses you into perpendicular slots as well as parallel spaces, though I haven't tried that out.

It's not something I'd buy for itself, but on my car it was bundled in with some other options that I did want - can't remember off-hand what they were but it might have been the front & rear parking sensors or rear camera (I find the latter very useful) or the blind-spot sensors.

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    As Chris says the F & R sensors combined with the reversing camera really do work and assist me. Don't forget the auto n/s dipping mirror feature is also very helpful. Despite half a working life manoeuvring 52 foot artics I have to admit that parking this little SV should be easy but painful neck and shoulders do come with age and I find all these parking additions helpful. Can't comment on Park Assist as I didn't spec it but I admit I would like to experience it - in someone else's car perhaps......
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

4. Likes Chewystu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Kibby,

You haven't worn out your 2014 SV already have you? Or are you on a 3 year cycle perhaps??

I haven't heard of any updates yet to bring the SV into line with the new Golf models - but if the active dashboard became available I'd be very interested to know if it overcomes the extinguished dashboard light problem with ours.

Other than that, all my options have proved their worth - even the Lane Assist which I've now opted to leave enabled. (Initially I tried it and left it turned off unless I was driving in high side winds.) The dynamic Xenon lights have been excellent. Can the LED lights available now on other VWs be any better - or are they just more fuel efficient I wonder?

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that.
    I think I saw somewhere that if the parked cars are parked poorly (say on the kerb)
    it uses these reference points (corner extremities) to position car and so could kerb your alloys or maybe
    worse. Too late after done so reluctant to risk it if possible as I would be using the feature when it would
    be tasky to park manually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kibby View Post
    Thanks for that. I think I saw somewhere that if the parked cars are parked poorly (say on the kerb) it uses these reference points (corner extremities) to position car and so could kerb your alloys or maybe worse. Too late after done so reluctant to risk it if possible as I would be using the feature when it would be tasky to park manually.
    I found park assist to be pretty useful but mainly getting out of a space! Either way, in or out you can always interrupt the process if you feel you're heading for a kerb.
    I do miss this option in my current Golf, however I get by without.......
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.

Post Thanks / Like
    When we get out of tight parking spaces (as described in original posting) we
    still have to shunt back and forth as car is pointing at an angle to immediate
    cars in front parked on both sides of road with just enough gap to get by but
    not in one continuous forward movement on exiting the space. If we tried to do
    it in one continuous movement we would hit a car on right or left side of the road
    in most instances.
    When does it hand back control on exiting as if we still have to shuffle back and
    forward the benefits of such a system would be greatly reduced as it's not fully
    automatic anymore?
    I think I would be nervous and prone to take back control.
    I assume in the worst case it would default to not hitting anything
    if beyond it's capabilities or am I too trusting?
    Last edited by kibby; 21-06-17 at 11:44.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kibby View Post
    When we get out of tight parking spaces (as described in original posting) we still have to shunt back and forth as car is pointing at an angle to immediate cars in front parked on both sides of road with just enough gap to get by but not in one continuous forward movement on exiting the space. If we tried to do it in one continuous movement we would hit a car on right or left side of the road in most instances. When does it hand back control on exiting as if we still have to shuffle back and forward the benefits of such a system would be greatly reduced as it's not fully automatic anymore? I think I would be nervous and prone to take back control. I assume in the worst case it would default to not hitting anything if beyond it's capabilities or am I too trusting?
    Park assist works both in and out of spaces in the same way - it will take as many moves back and forth as is required not to hit objects. All the driver has to do is engage the right direction gear and brake/throttle. The driver can override at any time. The bonus is that when in park assist the car will turn the steering far more quickly than the driver could (and always in the correct direction!) and therefore minimise manoeuvring.
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.

Post Thanks / Like
    So when it 'stops/pauses' you just change between Drive and Reverse and it does the rest
    and would that make the procedure a bit of a faff and defeat the similicity of it all and how do you judge
    it. (When you can't get out of the parking spot in one forward manouvre).
    Sorry to be a bit confused on if it would truly be a benefit in this situation.