Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake Discs & Pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian - are you still interested in this brake disc business? I know your last post was in July......
    If so I couldn't help noticing your photos - the one with the radial marks. They roughly correlate to the size and position of pad contact if you look carefully.
    This would tie in with warpage at each end of the pad when stationary. I was once told that if you brake hard and keep the braking pressure on when halted, the section of disc between the pads cools slower than the "unclamped" free to air part, thus increasing the likelihood of disc warp. As I'm a bit o.c.d., when I'm forced to brake hard to an obstruction etc I gently roll forward after stopping to allow the disc to cool evenly. I had an Audi turbo that would warp discs for fun until I adopted this principle. In fact I had a goon pull in front of me at 70 on the motorway home from having new discs fitted and warped those too before I knew!
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi SpikeyBob,

I'm of advancing years, from a time where brakes were good at best and where kadence braking was second nature. Like you I brake gently and in good time when conditions allow.

Unfortunately, cars previous owner - I won't mention gender - did not appear to have the same forethought and there's no accounting for goons.

My other mode of transport is a narrow boat, weighs 15 tons and 50 foot long, with rubbish steering and no brakes ... good training ground in anticipation .
    2013 Polo 6R Match Edition 1.2, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian7NS View Post
    Hi SpikeyBob, I'm of advancing years, from a time where brakes were good at best and where kadence braking was second nature. Like you I brake gently and in good time when conditions allow. Unfortunately, cars previous owner - I won't mention gender - did not appear to have the same forethought and there's no accounting for goons. My other mode of transport is a narrow boat, weighs 15 tons and 50 foot long, with rubbish steering and no brakes ... good training ground in anticipation .
    hehe Brian agree with all that! I'm thinking you may mean progressive braking where you gradually reduce pressure as you come to a halt, cadence braking from memory, is the emergency braking when you pump the pedal rapidly letting go just as the wheels are about to lock!! You are also correct to suggest that these techniques do not seem to be taught any longer and folk rely on the abs system to save their bacon. I remember the popularity of the oval car stickers way back with "DISCS" in red to warn other drivers in their lowly drum braked vehicles, of their superior stopping power! Presumably to avoid rear end shunts and in a similar fashion it was popular to place "baby on board" signs in the rear window. I was never sure if the latter was there to make drivers especially careful not hit their car and find another to hit, or to excuse the poor concentration of a tired parent keeping one eye on a screaming child.....
    As a parent of course I can see all these possibilities from my own experience and hope I have not upset any new parents and drivers of all drum braked vehicles reading this.-Aah yes! The British Leyland Mini - skinny tyres and tiny drums - those were the days!
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikyBob View Post
    I'm thinking you may mean progressive braking where you gradually reduce pressure as you come to a halt, cadence braking from memory, is the emergency braking when you pump the pedal rapidly letting go just as the wheels are about to lock!
    It's called Cadaver braking when you get it wrong........
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12