Thread: Brake Discs & Pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Discs & Pads.

Since purchasing car I've always been aware of scrubbing noise from front discs until apply slight brake pressure and a steering wheel judder when braking from motorway speeds on motorway slip roads. Car passed first M.O.T. but was told a slight amount of brake judder is acceptable.
    Tyre pressures normal.

Next M.O.T. due December but thought I'd change discs and pads while weather is goodish.

I'd be grateful for recommendation of suitable replacements : PR code 1ZG.

Disc and Pads available locally:

Pagid: Disc & Pads
    Brembo: Disc & Pads
    Bosch: Disc & Pads
    ATE: Disc & Pads
    Vtech: Disc & Pads

Regards and Thanks
    Brian.
    2013 Polo 6R Match Edition 1.2, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Pagid all the time, done two sets today.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

3. Likes blow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crasher ... that's good enough for me.

I'd be grateful for any advice on special tools, lubricants or advice - I normally use copper slip.

Regards and Thanks
    Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Copper slip is out, Aluminium or ceramic paste is what to use, Copper slip causes electrolytic corrosion
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    As mentioned in my original post, when I mentioned steering judder when braking to garage prior to MOT at 21053, I was told a certain amount of judder was acceptable; current mileage: 22513.

Attached disc photos; Nearside (inboard surface) is scored with what appears to be high spots radiating from hub, Offside (inboard surface) has not been fully swept by pad and both inner and outer edges are deeply pitted.

Attachment 5719Attachment 5720

... possible causes of steering judder under braking?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't see your pics but no judder is a allowable in my mind and the discs sound like they are shot.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see the pics, its easier to put them in [IMG] codes tags.

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, much as I would love to share photos, I've just spent a fruitless morning attempting to use Photo Bucket and Flickr to VW Forum post. Attempted to insert Flickr URL (https://www.flickr.com/photos/157318298@N08/) with various extension because, according to Image import, it accepts JPG extensions.
    However, you can view photos via Flickr as they're in Public Folder.

Regards
    Brian.
    Last edited by Brian7NS; 26-07-17 at 12:28. Reason: Alter test

Post Thanks / Like
    I've use Photobucket for many years but now they have decided to charge users for showing pictures in forums.

e.g.

I also use http://tinypic.com/ which is free and have moved common pictures over.

You can add pictures to a thread as an attachment providing they aren't too big.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Keith

Had to un-check 'Retrieve remote files and reference locally' box in URL option.

Nearside Disc.

Offside Disc.

The dealership said they'd checked discs but I think only through holes in road wheels. I suspect that as car was still under warranty, they didn't want to incur cost at this point but were looking forward to replacing disc at a future date ... probably before next MOT.

Agree with Crasher, regarding steering judder, but when main dealer says it's acceptable after they'd investigated and following M.O.T. pass, I'd have been foolish to argue.

Regards and Thanks
    Brian.

... who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
    Last edited by Brian7NS; 26-07-17 at 14:07. Reason: Add Text.