Thread: Beetle Convertible door lock failure that replacement lock didnt cure

Post Thanks / Like

Beetle Convertible door lock failure that replacement lock didnt cure

The problem I am seeking help for relates to a late 2006 new beetle convertible whose passenger door refuses to open from either the internal/external handles or indeed from the remote. Initially the problem was intermittent but has now come to stay - the glass drops as expected but no unlock takes place. As you may know, to get access to the door and lock mechanism you must first grind away the stainless steel bolts that retain the striker plate to the door jamb and I have now done this - eventually. I then fitted a supposedly good replacement lock mechanism (after a good lube job) which I expected to fix things as I know these can have issues with microswitches etc.

Unfortunately the replacement lock mechanism has made absolutely no difference, so either it has the same fault or more likely the problem lies elsewhere. My next step will be to dismantle the original lock mechanism to check the operation of the microswitches and (I think) the motor, although I hear the expected clunks from both of the mechanisms I have tried when locking/unlocking the door.

If anyone who is more familiar with the workings of the new beetle convertible (golf 5 ?) locks can suggest a line of investigation, I would be very grateful.
    thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, in case anyone has the same issue in the future.

My problem was indeed the lock mechanism itself. The top spring that causes the "lock" lever to click into either full lock or full unlock position had gone missing, also the motor driving that function was faulty in that it would stop in some positions and not turn or draw hardly any current. I replaced both and all was restored.

I managed to get at the inner side of the lock plate by pulling out just the speaker sub-panel so now I need to work out how to remove the complete quarter trim in order to restore to normality so I need to do some googling before maybe asking here again.

thanks
    2006 Beetle Convertible 1.6, Petrol