Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vibrations in cabin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingslayer View Post
    Turns out that the offside front wheel is buckled (wheels had a negligible amount of balancing required). Got buckled wheel moved to near side rear and two Continental tyres put on the front. Early days yet, but WHAT a difference in how the car feels on the road, especially on the motorway. The technician actually showed by the buckled wheel on the machine and it was evident that it was jumping. Going to contact dealer about buckled wheel now. Technician also showed me the near side rear disc is badly corroded. Pity that I didn't photograph it when the wheel was off as it looked quite bad. Especially since the other side isn't corroded and the dealer did the MOT about 12 weeks ago.
    Glad to be of some help with this one then - also pleased that you have some mainstream quality tyres at the front, somewhere I believe it's best not to economise. This buys you some time to get the buckled rim sorted at least.
    Last edited by SpikyBob; 28-08-17 at 11:02.
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikyBob View Post
    Glad to be of some help with this one then - also pleased that you have fitted some mainstream quality tyres, somewhere I believe it's best not to economise. This buys you some time to get the buckled rim sorted at least.
    Thanks, Spiky Bob.

No new tyres though. They just put the two Continentals that were on the back onto the front. But one of them is cracking near the edge, so will need at least 2 new tyres (not sure if it's worth keeping the nearly new Altimax on the rear or just get 4 of the same make).

BTW, can buckled alloys be repaired? That would be my preferred option as dealer just quoted me 320 for replacement alloy (10-spoke 16" Toronto, part number 5G0-601-025-8z8 ).
    Mk7 Golf BlueMotion Tech SE 1.4 TSI
    MkII Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.4 TSI

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I edited my post to make more sense! Difficult to say about fixing buckled wheels - depends on what's damaged. I scraped and slightly dented the rim of an alloy and took it to a local company and was amazed by the quality of repair. Try Googling maybe, where are you located?
    As for tyres personally I wouldn't trust Altimax but I'm picky. Uniroyal Rainsport are often recommended here.
    We had a pair of Michelin Cross Climate tyres fitted to the Polo at 90 each competitively priced at the dealer. Depends on budget and if you are living in an area prone to wintry conditions as we are of course!
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still experiencing vibrations in the gear stick (not visible but can be felt in my hand when touching the stick, note that I don't get this with the clutch depressed) and once or twice in the steering wheel (at low speeds on roundabouts). Since seeing the dealer about this (who fixed the loose exhaust fleximount), I have had the flat spot on the alloy straightened and had 4 new Michelin CrossClimate tyres fitted. I've had the wheels balances twice by two independent garages and the flat spot no longer shows on the machine. I am very confident that it's not the wheels or tyres causing the vibration.

So what does that leave? Gearbox mounts, engine mounts, or the flywheel? Dealer tells me that the flywheel is fine. Is there anything I can check myself?

Got a horrible feeling that the dealer I bought it from is hiding something. Anyone on the forum live near Glasgow and willing to look at the car for me for a fee?

The car is 4 years old and has done 23k miles and has VW warranty until April 2018.
    Last edited by Kingslayer; 08-09-17 at 13:42.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just back from the dealer who got a tech to go for a test drive with me. During the test run, the vibrations in the gear stick weren't as bad as they have been, but the tech told me it's normal to feel some vibration through the gear stick as that's the bush doing its job.

I suppose he's the expert, but I've never felt this in any previous car that I've owned or driven.
    Last edited by Kingslayer; 13-09-17 at 11:01. Reason: Corrected confusing grammar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12