Thread: First posts normally go in introductions...

Post Thanks / Like

First posts normally go in introductions...

Might it be an idea to modify the contents of Step 4 in the "Want to Join? Read First..." post linked from the top of the page?
    It could additionally say, "Please make your first post in the introduction section, and tell us what your car is." And maybe even provide a link to that sub-forum?
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

Post Thanks / Like
    That's always been a problem of this forum the sub forum titles are confusing.

Forum: Wanting to Join? Welcome, Please Read

Forum: New Members - Introduce Yourself Here

I've moved many posts from Wanting to Join to Introduce Yourself Here.

Well you may have seen I've posted First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!! on a few new thread. That's the norm on forum get a quick fix then you never see them again.

I've asked Administrator (Rory) to make a Forum Rules thread so all new users can read. When I joined this forum many years ago. As with all forum joining the forum rules are shown, you have to tick the checkbox to say you abide by these rules. Before you can apply your subscription.

We will have to see if he does this .

As regards telling us what VW car they that's another problem. I ALWAYS add to every new post in introductions.

Can I suggest that you add your car spec to your signature as it will save users asking every time, if you know the engine code that will also be great? Oh you can't do this of a phone. Adding your car spec

Options Sticker and Engine Codes

If I moved a post to the correct section I always say. Post moved to correct section, sometimes as OP can't read sub forum titles.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing is - as I see it - new members who don't spot the subforum entitled "New Members - Introduce Yourself Here" will almost certainly post for the first time somewhere else, because there's nothing in the registration process that points them in the right direction.

I had a browse around before I first posted, so I spotted a number of the "First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!" comments; but it feels - from the outside looking in - like that's a bit of a 'telling off', rather than a welcome?

Great job with the car details and pre-filling their sigs, that's a nice touch.
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

Post Thanks / Like
    It can be frustrating trying to find the correct sub forum for you post. Getting Rory the site Administrator to change forum/sub forum titles isn't easy.

Some sub forums e.g. Forum: Polo Mk3 - (Typ 6N/6N2) 1994 - 2003 - Forum: Polo Mk4 - (Typ 9N/9N3) 2002 - 2009 have a year overlap so which sub forum to put it in.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Keith,

What titles need updating and what changes do you need me to do ?

I can change that overlap yer, please let me know what to...

Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have updated the text as per the first post...

7. Thanks Pete1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forum: Wanting to Join? Welcome, Please Read

Users just see Wanting to Join? So they make an intro in there and I move it.

Many forums have the normal rules when you join, which you tick and agree too. These are normal thing like no spam, don't abuse users etc

You could also add Banned subjects

I think there should be a separate link or a sticky showing these rules so they can refresh their memory.

In there it should say about where to make a new thread. If you know the model name and year. Make a thread in that sub forum. If its and engine/gearbox, suspension, interior, exterior & appearance, in car entertainment there are sub forums for these.

This is a VW forum but we do get users that have a problem with their Audi, Seat or Skoda these normally post in General Discussion. I said before it would better to have a Audi, Seat Skoda Vehicles sub forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've noticed a slightly annoying thing only with this forum only, since I've been here.

When I post error code solutions from my app. I always use Go Advanced to check if it looks right. A lot of components have a ID number. Anything showing 8 ) without the space.

e.g.
    Shift Solenoid Valve 8 [N298]
    Drivers Interior Locking Button [E308]
    Airbag Seat Detect Sensor [G128]
    Fuel Injection Timing Solenoid [N108]
    Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 1 [G108]

I have to change them all the square brackets - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 1 [G108]

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really a software problem.

When we have new members I check there post and profile and add there vehicle to their signature for reference. Their signature never shows straight away, they have to make a few posts before it shows. When I add a signature to a new member with 0 posts the first post they make it shows.

With all the other forums I use if you add something to your signature it shows up straight away, why doesn't that work on here? When I add a members location that shows up straight away. I've seen posts from users saying they have added something to there signature and it doesn't show in posts.

Another thing I've noticed, when I move multiple posts it doesn't remember the OP title I have to copy and paste it.