Thread: Airbag 'fault' message after unplugging light in centre console

Post Thanks / Like

Airbag 'fault' message after unplugging light in centre console

Hi, hoping someone can help me......

I recently changed my headunit and temporarily disconnected the airbag warning light plug from the surround panel in centre console so I could remove the panel. After plugging it back in, I now always get the 'airbag fault' message come up after switching ignition on, and the airbag warning light is always on.

I checked the fuse, and also run a fault code machine which shows no codes, and I can't imagine there is actually a real fault with the airbag so at a bit of a loss.

Any advice / suggestions appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    You have probably turned the ignition on (checking your head unit installation?) while the light was disconnected. The same thing happens if you happen to turn ignition on while you disconnect and remove a seat. There will be an error recorded that will need to be erased but I guess your scanner device couldn't read it.
    If I'm not mistaken once an error is detected the system is deactivated in which case for safety reasons it should be dealt with.
    2016 Touareg R-Line Plus 3.0 V6 TDI 262PS 8-Speed Tiptronic. Canyon Grey Metallic, 21" Mallory Alloys, Dynamic Air Suspension, 14way Electric Two Tone Nappa Sports Seats, Memory Pack, Tow Pack, Area View, Ambient Light Pack, Heated Steering Wheel, Pano Roof, Climate, Keyless Entry and Start, Google maps, blah blah etc, etc,

2016 Golf R-Line 1.4 TSI 150PS 7-speed DSG. Pure White, Keyless Entry and Start, Climate Control, 18" Durban alloys, Car-net Guide and inform + App-connect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. You're right in that I did turn the ignition on to check stereo, so sounds like I need this reset. My scanner in just a basic one so I guess it needs a proper one. Thanks