Thread: Delivery mileage issue

Post Thanks / Like

Delivery mileage issue

We ordered a new Golf GTE.

The VW dealer tells us that having up to 50 miles on the meter is normal. Now, the dealer called and they have been using our car "by mistake" for test drives and it has racked up 298 miles.

At 50 miles / hour, that's 6 full hours of driving.

They have called and mentioned that we can either (1) refuse the car and wait for a new one or (2) take it and they will offer a free dinner in a local restaurant or so.

They also cannot say if our number plates were used or the dealer number plates were used during the test drives... he just doesn't know he says.

I have been told that it's important to treat the car well the first few hundred miles. So I am worried they have been pushing the car during those test drives.

They basically want us to pay a new price for a (kinda) demo model.

What do you think we should do? Refuse car? Or accept but what is an acceptable compensation? It's a 30,000 car.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kdeebee View Post
    We ordered a new Golf GTE.

The VW dealer tells us that having up to 50 miles on the meter is normal. Now, the dealer called and they have been using our car "by mistake" for test drives and it has racked up 298 miles.

At 50 miles / hour, that's 6 full hours of driving.

They have called and mentioned that we can either (1) refuse the car and wait for a new one or (2) take it and they will offer a free dinner in a local restaurant or so.

They also cannot say if our number plates were used or the dealer number plates were used during the test drives... he just doesn't know he says.

I have been told that it's important to treat the car well the first few hundred miles. So I am worried they have been pushing the car during those test drives.

They basically want us to pay a new price for a (kinda) demo model.

What do you think we should do? Refuse car? Or accept but what is an acceptable compensation? It's a 30,000 car.

Thanks
    Delivery mileage can vary, there was 50 miles on mine when I picked it up.

It depends on how desperate you need this new Golf GTE. All they are offering is a free dinner at a restaurant or wait for a new one to come of the line.

I would want a lot more of an ex demo, negotiate a better deal.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

3. Thanks kdeebee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would refuse it. Who treats a demo car with respect?

Sounds like the dealership is crap at paperwork, as they should have known the vehicle was assigned to you the moment it arrived.
    Current Garage:
    Mine: 2013 Passat Sport BlueMotion Tech 2.0 TDI-CR CFFB Remapped
    Hers: 2006 Fiat Grande Punto Sporting 1.9 M-Jet

5. Thanks kdeebee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have bought quite a few new cars, different makes and different dealers over the years. Being a difficult buyer having spent half a working life in auto engineering I have always been fussy about delivery mileage
    ( poisoned by what I have seen) and I can say that no cars we have bought have had more than a dozen at most miles upon collection. My most recent, the Golf SV had 14 miles and just over 2 of those was the dealer taking me to get a nice full tank of petrol.
    I would refuse it and wait rather than be impatient and regret the decision.
    Only my opinion.

Edit.
    Just had a re-read. On second thoughts you are paying a lump more than I did for mine so for 30k I personally would definitely refuse it.
    Last edited by Sam&Anne; 21-09-17 at 14:57.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

7. Thanks kdeebee thanked for this post