Thread: Passat B8 headlights....again

Post Thanks / Like

Passat B8 headlights....again

I am still somewhat disillusioned (no pun!) with the dipped beam headlights on our B8 Passat estate....as mentioned elsewhere I fitted Philips +130% bulbs which are a bit brighter - but nowhere near as bright as the same bulbs fitted to my works Combo van so tonight I checked the voltage at the bulb and found the Combo to be 13.5V whereas the Passat is a mere 12.6V, dropping to 11.4V when the full beams are on
    Whilst that doesn't sound like much, the light output of halogens rises exponentially so a 10% increase in voltage (1.2V) equals 33% increase in light output....and consequentially a slightly shorter lifespan although to be fair the bulbs in the Combo have been OK for over 2 years which is a price I am happy to pay for the ability to actually be able to see where I am going - we live in the rural "sticks" and it's pretty damn dark !
    I found these on fleabay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150W-DC-DC...item237530cbc1
    and wondered whether increasing the voltage to, say 13.5V would be a simple and easy fix.... has anyone tried this ?

On my previous Sharan it was possible to increase the voltage from the stock setting of 12V to 13.5V using VCDS and the difference was immense but my dealer says it is not possible in our car
    Last edited by davidwf; 06-10-17 at 23:10.
    2016 Passat B8 Estate SE BlueMotion 2.0 TDI-CR, DFCA 190PS, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Surely you can increase headlight voltage on your car .

Post Thanks / Like
    ....you mean by using the fleabay items, yes ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The voltage can be raised in the coding table of the central electrics system, it is on bulb saving voltage.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The voltage can be raised in the coding table of the central electrics system, it is on bulb saving voltage.
    Thanks Crasher but I could not find it in VCDS for our present car... it was as you say in there for the 2012 Sharan.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm...upon further investigation it seems I may have been "mis-sold" a non-genuine VCDS interface (yes it was off fleabay, no, it wasn't a super cheap one !!!) so I am wondering if maybe it simply couldn't access the relevant area ?
    Fortunately I received a full refund after emailing the seller and didn't need to raise a case with ebay

So, next request is.....is there anyone in North Suffolk around Eye/Medlesham/Stowmarket area who could do this for me...obviously a drink will be in the offing
    Thanks
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwf View Post
    Hmmm...upon further investigation it seems I may have been "mis-sold" a non-genuine VCDS interface (yes it was off fleabay, no, it wasn't a super cheap one !!!)
    I find that hard to believe of fleabay, that's all they sell.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    well it wasn't a cheapo one !!!

Anyone near me who could look at the settings please?

Dealer says he has never heard of it and cannot access it via VCDS as they dont use VCDS !

Post Thanks / Like
    Today the car went in for service to another main dealership whom I have used for several years with previous cars and built up a good trust relationship....and they also said it was not possible to increase the headlamp voltage....but I am sure it must be .... as previously mentioned, the voltage across the DIPPED beam bulbs is 12.6V on dipped and 11.4 when on full which does seem pretty low