Thread: New Golf SV preview & SV sales figures

Post Thanks / Like

New Golf SV preview & SV sales figures

I see that Auto Express have been out to Spain to preview the updated SV/Sportsvan (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswa...sv-2017-review) and are moaning about its poor sales in the UK. ("When did you last see one... and total sales are only 13,000") It's true that they reported 150,000 sales in Germany, but that's not the whole story. In fact 251,209 Sportsvans/SVs have been sold across Europe since it was launched which makes it all the more surprising that only 13,000 found British buyers!

Auto Express blame its "frumpy MPV looks" and say Brits prefer crossovers even though it admits these are less practical! So why DO buyers over here prefer gimmicky faux 4x4s rather than well designed practical cars? The SV is well under the price of a Tiguan after all - which would be the comparable VW crossover - and yet sells in much smaller numbers. I remember when I bought my Golf Plus (which suffered in the same way) my dealer was also baffled by the lack of sales and said that every time he put one in his showroom it sold very quickly! Is it just down to a lack of marketing by VW?

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

2. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coming up to 50 years of motoring I have had a vast array of cars.
    I regret a total of two but the rest have been excellent.
    The latest is an SV and I have never regretted the decision. I know enough to know that in the last 50 years there have been many "unloved" cars, especially by the media which I have always felt was a shame because of their low sales. The Golf Plus was certainly one of those vehicles but I am delighted to see so many here in Northern Ireland and just about all of them in excellent condition.
    I remember thinking that the SV will probably go the same way into quiet oblivion and the meagre new stock in the huge dealers here seems to prove my point.
    I know the dealership very well from my time in auto engineering and therefore I can trust what I am told in that there is very little SV interest. It is generally agreed that a distinct lack of marketing is the root cause but nobody will offer an opinion as to why.
    I can say that I hope I never have to change this car at my age but if I do, even though the colour has now been discontinued, I will buy another SV.
    It does everything I want it to do extremely well but maybe I am just not fashionable enough for this world anymore.
    So be it.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Its hard to say without doing a lot of Goggling. In 2014 an all-new successor to the Golf Plus was revealed, the Golf Sportsvan (SV).
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    When the time comes to change, if there's no SV, I'll look at Kia/Hyundai
    Golf SV SE 2.0 TDI-CR, DSG, climate, KESSY, parking, winter pack, dark rear glass, park assist
    Engine code: CRLB
    Gearbox code: QMM

Post Thanks / Like
    Strange, since we spotted it in 2014 in VW showroom been back quite a few times
    including 3 service visits and never seen one in the showroom and salesmen
    said they rarely have any interest or enquiries for one.
    2014 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kibby View Post
    Strange, since we spotted it in 2014 in VW showroom been back quite a few times
    including 3 service visits and never seen one in the showroom and salesmen
    said they rarely have any interest or enquiries for one.
    Well how are would-be buyers supposed to know there is one! Dealers don't stock brochures anymore, and if all the punters can see are Tiguans, Polos, T-Rocs and Golfs then they won't ask about the SV!

It was very refreshing to see how many there are on the road in Germany and Austria this summer Buyers there see plenty of them on the road so dealers will stock them and sell them!

If I was in the market for a new car and not aware of the SV I'd be down at my local Skoda dealers buying a Karoq!

Chris
    Last edited by CJJE; 02-12-17 at 17:40.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Post Thanks / Like
    Noticed most European manufacturers that have a UK Marketing/Distributing arm
    for reasons not clear to me, restrict the available model trim/engine/colour options.
    Skoda (VW Sub brand) does it too. We seem to be the poor relations for choice.
    Not really a big complication for them for 'build to order' cars surely.
    Again a big organisation not maximising sales. Would not go for a SV GT as not want 150psi engine but would go for the other add ons to GT spec if you could fine tune the engine option better.
    Last edited by kibby; 02-12-17 at 19:28.
    2014 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh please don't get me started!

Just look at the choice of colours German buyers can choose from for their Sportsvans! (https://www.volkswagen.de/app/konfig...?page=exterior)

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Car Magazine have also tested the new SV, and give it a more favourable review than AutoExpress. (I started reading that magazine back in the 1960s, when it had just renamed itself as 'Car' from 'Small Car and Mini Driver'!

Details here: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...v-2018-review/

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link Chris
    Golf SV SE 2.0 TDI-CR, DSG, climate, KESSY, parking, winter pack, dark rear glass, park assist
    Engine code: CRLB
    Gearbox code: QMM