Thread: Michelin Cross Climates - reality check

Post Thanks / Like

Michelin Cross Climates - reality check

General Question to all those forum members who have fitted Cross Climate tyres....How have you found them now that we have had a chance to really test them?

I'm quite impressed, traction on soft snow has been excellent, grip on slushy slopes has been very good, traction when pulling away has been very good. Every bit as good as my previous Goodyear All Season tyres (which I also drove in similar conditions).

My Cross-Climates have done 17K miles so not new but less than 40% worn.
    2013 Touran 2.0 TDI (CFHC - D91) SE DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) SE DSG Silver. ( I was previously posting as thamestrader)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm really pleased with mine. Used them for three winters now; roughly November to March and they've done about 20,000 miles. Traction on soft and compacted snow good, hitting slush feels little different from driving in the wet, ice is ok if you're careful. Ride is good and reasonably quiet. Probably about 40-50% worn.

They recently took me to Malvern when the bad snow hit at the beginning of December (Malvern had about 8-10 inches). No dramas and I could drive safely and confidently. Sadly careful and confident are not words I would apply to many of those driving the M5 when the snow was falling and settling on the Sunday night of that trip.
    2008 Touran Sport, 2.0 TDI 140, Slate Grey
    (Spec:- Engine BKD; Gearbox KDM; Highline electrics)
    Mods:- Touran Match Black headlights & Anthracite taillights, Touran R-Line lower fog light grilles and centre grille, VW Votex Rear lower bumper spoiler & Side Sills, VW Namib wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevPaul View Post
    I'm really pleased with mine. Used them for three winters now; roughly November to March and they've done about 20,000 miles. Traction on soft and compacted snow good, hitting slush feels little different from driving in the wet, ice is ok if you're careful. Ride is good and reasonably quiet. Probably about 40-50% worn.

They recently took me to Malvern when the bad snow hit at the beginning of December (Malvern had about 8-10 inches). No dramas and I could drive safely and confidently. Sadly careful and confident are not words I would apply to many of those driving the M5 when the snow was falling and settling on the Sunday night of that trip.
    I'm rather surprised to see that you are changing back to summer tyres each year... I was thinking of switching to them permanently once my summer Michelins EnergySavers expire. I've got Continental WinterContact TS830s fitted for the winter season but was hoping to avoid the hassle of changing back and forth by fitting the Cross Climates instead. Do you not find them as good during the summer?
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

4. Thanks Theotherjohn thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it does seem a bit strange. Two reasons:-

1. Vanity; I bought a new set of Namib wheels which look better than the standard wheels and are in much better condition than the standard alloys and so I wanted to protect them from the ravages of the salt on the roads in winter.

2. Winter tyres are rated for temperatures below about 7degrees C, British winter temperatures and conditions are very variable and I don't want to keep changing tyres with the weather. CrossClimates are winter rated whilst also giving a much better ride, grip in wet & dryconditions, fuel economy and quieter than full-on winter tyres. But I find that my summer tyres (Goodyear EfficientGrip) give better fuel economy, work better once temperatures get above ~7-10 degrees and are quieter than the CrossClimates.

Taking my trip from Cheshire to Malvern as an example,Sunday night to Malvern was ~0 degrees, Monday and Tuesday in and around Malvern was <0 degrees and then in Cheshire in the following weeks up to Christmas temperatures were frequently in double figures.

I don't want to keep changing from winter tyres to summer tyres during the winter months in order to be on the best rubber for the temperatures, but I don't mind changing tyres (its only an hour or so) twice a year; so I use the CrossClimates as "winter" tyres.

It does seem a bit fussy, but by using this combination of tyres I'm getting excellent fuel economy across the year (avg. ~49mpg), excellent grip in all conditions and a quieter ride (I find Tourans have ratherpoor road noise compared to their opposition and I do a lot of long journeys). I also get the fringe benefit of a personal visual inspection of the suspension, brakes and underside of my car rather than rely entirely on my annual visit to my dealer (who by the way is very good).
    Last edited by RevPaul; 12-01-18 at 17:47.
    2008 Touran Sport, 2.0 TDI 140, Slate Grey
    (Spec:- Engine BKD; Gearbox KDM; Highline electrics)
    Mods:- Touran Match Black headlights & Anthracite taillights, Touran R-Line lower fog light grilles and centre grille, VW Votex Rear lower bumper spoiler & Side Sills, VW Namib wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
    I'm rather surprised to see that you are changing back to summer tyres each year... I was thinking of switching to them permanently once my summer Michelins EnergySavers expire. I've got Continental WinterContact TS830s fitted for the winter season but was hoping to avoid the hassle of changing back and forth by fitting the Cross Climates instead. Do you not find them as good during the summer?
    I only have the one set of standard alloy wheels so the Cross-Climates are used summer and winter, I agree with RevPaul the CC's are perhaps a little nosier than the Michelin primacy energy savers, I run them at nearly full load pressures even though its generally just me in the car, that definitely gives better mpg but is perhaps marginally more noisy on long runs. Unfortunately I can't tell if the CCs have impacted mpg compared to the Primacy Energy savers as my weekly usage pattern changed around the time I got the CCs. I now do more local journeys between roundabouts on 70 mph local dual carriageways.
    2013 Touran 2.0 TDI (CFHC - D91) SE DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) SE DSG Silver. ( I was previously posting as thamestrader)