Thread: Knocking and creaking under front

Post Thanks / Like

Knocking and creaking under front

My 2012 has had some of the front suspension parts replaced. This is. The rear lower wishbone bushes ,the both lower ball joints ,both track rod ends ,both the anti roll bar drop arms. All the rest seems fine with no excessive movement and it just had an mot test
    just recent in the snow and cold conditions I was experiencing a lot of creaking and knocking I suspect from front off side .....weather was too bad to crawl under to have a look. So now the weather has improved I was going to take a look but now the noises have gone anyone experienced this problem and if so what’s the fault.
    2014 Sharan 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Ask the people who did the work if they used ALL new fasteners when rebuilding and if they tightened up the suspension components they replaced with the suspension laden or unladen.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Ask the people who did the work if they used ALL new fasteners when rebuilding and if they tightened up the suspension components they replaced with the suspension laden or unladen.
    I did some of it myself ,as per my other thread I fond it strange one of the drop links is forced to face the other way as they are not sided
    I have considered loosing of the bolts and re tightening with the car sitting on its wheels I have seen problems where the suspension bolts have been tightened with no weight on wheels before I believe the bushes don’t swivel but they flex
    2014 Sharan 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    The anti roll bar links in that design do seem a little odd but that's how they are. Those are on ball joints so it does not matter so much as all you do is stretch and rip the boots if they stick and don't spin round but rubber bushes MUST be tightened up with the vehicle in its normal loaded position, tightening them in the air will rip them apart when on the floor in use and re-using the one time only torque to yield stretch fasteners can be lethal, they can snap all of a sudden.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: