Thread: Starting problem when cold on GOLF SDI S 2.0L

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Starting problem when cold on GOLF SDI S 2.0L

Hi all,

My Mk 5 has developed a new trait where it struggles to start occasionally when it's cold.

1. I warm the glow plugs for at least 8 seconds
    2. Turn everything off including radio.
    3. Turn the key
    4. There is a clicking coming from the steering column, all the lights are flashing on the dash, the CD player is going crazy and the starter motor sounds like it's trying to swim through treacle. Then it grinds to a halt and nothing else happens apart from the lights on the dash still flashing.
    5. I pull the key out and try again, 9 times out of 10 it will fire straight away but it's happened once where it does exactly the same thing.

What could it be? Glow plugs? Starter Motor? Battery? I've done an engine oil and filter change this weekend but hasn't changed anything.

Help !! Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an intermittent electrical problem, changing the oil and filter, although a good idea, won't change anything.
    Until you can get the fault codes read, you can try checking the battery - easiest way would be to swap it with a known good item. Occasionally faulty cells can do odd things. Also check the battery negative to car bodywork ground connection this can become corroded, particularly if it is a copper braided type.
    The starter motor can also cause problems. Do you depress the clutch when starting the engine? Always a good idea particularly in cold weather.
    Good luck....
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.