Thread: Fan noise

Post Thanks / Like

Fan noise

We got back from a 18 mile trip tonight and parked on the driveway. As we got out of the car we noticed the engine fan was going round making a noise. No warning markers on the dash, just the fan noise at the front of the grill.

Is this normal? I never noticed fan noise on my last car (Volvo V70) I am just worried this could be a problem.

Thanks so much li
    2014 Passat Saloon Sport 2.0 TDI-CR 177PS

Post Thanks / Like
    This most likely indicates that a DPF regen was in progress at the time the ignition was switched off, the regen process creates really high temperatures and so the fans run to cool the engine. Search for DPF regen on this forum - you will find many other threads with almost identical questions.
    2013 Touran 2.0 TDI (CFHC - D91) SE DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) SE DSG Silver. ( I was previously posting as thamestrader)

3. Thanks lijongtao thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The DPF can exceed 800c during regeneration so if you stop when it is in the middle of a regen, the ECU sees the need to move engine bay heat.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

5. Thanks lijongtao thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK Thank you both. I feel reassured now. I haven't had a car with the DPF in before so it's all new to me. Much obliged to you both.
    2014 Passat Saloon Sport 2.0 TDI-CR 177PS

Post Thanks / Like
    Based solely on the way my Touran behaves; the DPF seems to need at least two regens per tank of fuel, so two 20-30 minute steady 60 - 70 mph journeys. My normal weekly usage includes two 40 mile trips in addition to all the short local trips I do. I have my MFD dash display set to average MPG since startup - I usually expect to get to 50 mpg average after 15 miles of motorway driving, I'm able now to detect when the regen is happening on the road as the average mpg dips or takes longer to get to 50mpg. Most times the regens start after about 10 miles on the motorway. I've analysed my DPF each week for the last 14 months, the average mileage per regen is around 250 miles - but regens have occurred after just 200 miles or sometimes not until over 350 miles.
    2013 Touran 2.0 TDI (CFHC - D91) SE DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) SE DSG Silver. ( I was previously posting as thamestrader)

8. Thanks lijongtao thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Touranasaurus View Post
    the DPF seems to need at least two regens per tank of fuel
    You could do with getting the DPF's Ash Mass figure read off.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like

2015 Passat Noise 2.0 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Touranasaurus View Post
    Based solely on the way my Touran behaves; the DPF seems to need at least two regens per tank of fuel, so two 20-30 minute steady 60 - 70 mph journeys. My normal weekly usage includes two 40 mile trips in addition to all the short local trips I do. I have my MFD dash display set to average MPG since startup - I usually expect to get to 50 mpg average after 15 miles of motorway driving, I'm able now to detect when the regen is happening on the road as the average mpg dips or takes longer to get to 50mpg. Most times the regens start after about 10 miles on the motorway. I've analysed my DPF each week for the last 14 months, the average mileage per regen is around 250 miles - but regens have occurred after just 200 miles or sometimes not until over 350 miles.
    Mine was doing it consistently throughout a 200 mile journey over the weekend...does it when it's idle and also prominently when the revs are between 1800 and 2000. Anyone have any ideas as to whether this is just the regen or something more sinister? Doesn't sound great and it's irritating too...

I have made a video...any advice would be really helpful...taking into VW on Wednesday to let them have a look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDK1974 View Post
    I have made a video...any advice would be really helpful...taking into VW on Wednesday to let them have a look.
    Is this video the same as your other YouTube video in your other post, the post the link?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi...yes it's the same one...