Thread: Advice on changing wheel size

Post Thanks / Like

Advice on changing wheel size

Hi All,

I have a 2018 Golf 1.5 SE NAV, which currently has the standard 16" wheels on. However, i think Golf's look so much better with 18" on. Is it possible for me to put 18"'s or even 17"'s on without ruining the drive / suspension? I do not know too much about the mechanics of cars, so i do apologise for that. I guess my question is, can i swap my 16" for 17s or 18s without ruining / worsening handling and general ride of the car?

Thank you
    2018 Golf EVO 1.5 TSI 130

Post Thanks / Like
    You can fit bigger alloys but it will affect handling slightly. Generally a bigger alloy size means a lower profile tyre with a smaller sidewall. This means that you will feel bumps in the road a bit more and you'll get a little bit more tyre roar(noise). However your handling should improve, your turning response should sharpen up.

Tyre replacement will be a bit more expensive. Lower profile tyres tend to be pricier. Weight will also increase slightly too (a few pounds).

If you can afford it I'd say go for it. The disadvantages are only minor and you'll get better handling and better looking wheels. Should have specced it when you ordered your car.
    Jan 2017 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI DSG Performance Pack. 5Dr Carbon Grey.
    Previous: 2010 Golf mk6 GT 2.0 TDI DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    It will look the best on 18's but drive the best on 17's.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

4. Likes blow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a huge amount in it , I'm all for the 17" though .

I cringe at threads where folk go 19"+ .

6. Thanks Crasher thanked for this post
    Likes Crasher, blow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    I cringe at threads where folk go 19"+ .
    You should try driving one, I am in such pain after that you could not tell I was cringing.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    I know unsprung mass has alot to blame with the damping but the reduced tyre profile is visual thus blamed , but I look at these profiles then look at the state of UK roads and think WTF .

Remember the lovely fat tyres and ride quality of a E34 535/40i ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice!
    2018 Golf EVO 1.5 TSI 130

Post Thanks / Like
    Also have a look at Stuzo's thread about changing wheel size etc http://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29088 but going the other way!
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.