Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Golf - 1.0 or 1.4 engine?

Post Thanks / Like

New Golf - 1.0 or 1.4 engine?

I am looking to buy a new golf - my initial thought was to go for 1.0 SE but dealer seems much keener to sell me 1.4 SE (does not have 1.0 demo model!)
    I am not looking for anything 'sporty', just a sound family car. There does not seem to be much difference in power/performance but 1.0 is cheaper to buy, to tax, to insure and to fill up.

Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Recently there has been a move by manufacturers to smaller engines, and I have to admit that I am completely happy with my 1.4TSI. But now the pendulum is moving back again. If you are going to be driving your Golf fully loaded with passengers and luggage, then I'd be happier with the 1.4 rather than the 1.0. In real life, I'd suspect the fuel consumption will be very similar if not better. And the trade-in value in years to come should be better too if the smaller engines have gone out of fashion!
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 1.0 is not meeting the promised figures as to get it to go you have to thrash the nuts off it. Personally I would not buy anything less than a 2L GTI because it is the only decent petrol engine offered. They should put the 1.8 EA888 engine in a model and call it a GT to give non GTI inclined buyers a decent engine that will not fail prematurely.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like

No votes for 1.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The 1.0 is not meeting the promised figures
    Not sure what figures you mean exactly - 0-60 time, fuel consumption, ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Crasher, you don't care for the newer 1.4 and 1.5 litre engines with the active cylinder technology? My brother in law has an Octavia with a 1.4 engine (150 ps) and he loves it. He gets good fuel economy and goes when he wants it to. Not as fast as mine though.
    Jan 2017 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI DSG Performance Pack. 5Dr Carbon Grey.
    Previous: 2010 Golf mk6 GT 2.0 TDI DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by monalvw View Post
    Not sure what figures you mean exactly - 0-60 time, fuel consumption, ?
    Similar to the Fiat Twin Air, these very small engines are not returning the emissions or fuel consumption figures testing promised as in the real world they have to be run so hard to make decent progress. VW have said they are stopping downsizing as it has gone far enough, too far in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunty Pasty View Post
    Crasher, you don't care for the newer 1.4 and 1.5 litre engines with the active cylinder technology?
    Not everyone, including myself, drives a new car whether through lack of money or in my case, not wanting to fork out 400+ a month (plus deposit) on a PCP to not own the thing at the end plus that would not get me the car I wanted, I can buy older and get the model I want. The advantage I have is I can fix them myself so when I bought my Octavia VRS at three years old with a blown engine (long life servicing!), I can pick it up for lose change then rebuild for less than its used market value, not everyone has the ability or facilities to do that. Much of my experience with cars starts when they are three years old, we service a lot of new cars but nothing ever goes wrong with them and still most are ****** diesel. From 35 years of experience I know that small engines in big cars wear heavily. The first VAG example of modern downsizing was the 1.4 twin charger engine (BLG and BMY codes initially) which won the engine of the year award multiple times and the current range of 1.4's keeps doing the same and newish there is nothing wrong with them, it's when they are 8 years old with 100K miles and four services (which is within the specified limits) that the problems begin. The main problem with the twin charger engine is it's fragile and when (not if) it breaks, it costs daft money to fix. When I started working on cars people would strive to keep an old car on the road, many thought nothing of putting a recon engine into a Beetle of early Golf but now, if you have to just rebuild the head on a 2008 Polo 1.2 12v, the costs are well in excess of the cars value and that's IF the job goes smoothly. Now what happens is if a ten year old car breaks, it gets scrapped and that is NOT environmentally friendly, it's lunacy!
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

7. Likes Sam&Anne, saint liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another factor to take into consideration is that the 1.0 TSI Golf has the simpler 'Twist Beam' rear axle instead of the more advanced 'Multi-link' rear axle fitted to the 1.4 TSI. (The details are well hidden on page 81 of the latest Golf brochure!)

In theory this should give the 1.4 better handling that the 1.0, but whether or not the average driver will feel the difference is another matter!

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a 1.5 GOlf SE, economy wise (and otherwise) I am very pleased. I am still getting used to the way it drives but on one trip - a journey of 15 miles with 1/3rd urban and the rest motorway, I got 51 mpg - real world. I think I could probably get 55 on a long stretch of motorware with the adaptive cruise control.

I am very impressed with this car overall. My only criticism is that the IT side is confusing - there are a plethora of systems (most of which you can live without) Apple Play/Android/Mirroring, CarNet, the DataPlug, the native Nav system all displayed on two systems. There is a learnngi curve and a lot of it is window dressing IMO. A powerful system though.

Z
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to do a full tank of fuel for a better estimate of MPG, 15 mile is no real test.

I fill my cars up to the top of filler cap (my garage doesn't mine waiting till I have done this ), refill 300 miles at the same garage again up to the filler top, you will then have a better idea of MPG.
    2018 Golf SE NAV EVO 1.5 TSI 130 5 Door Tornado Red, Bluemotion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john2 View Post
    You need to do a full tank of fuel for a better estimate of MPG, 15 mile is no real test.

I fill my cars up to the top of filler cap (my garage doesn't mine waiting till I have done this ), refill 300 miles at the same garage again up to the filler top, you will then have a better idea of MPG.
    Hmm....I was going by the read on the dash. Are you saying we can't trust these?
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast