Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the cigarette lighter socket stay live

Post Thanks / Like
    On my golf (and the previous one) the fitter removed the left hand dash panel for easier access. He had the correct tools for removing the trim without damage. The wiring was hidden behind the windscreen plastic trim and emerged at the rear view mirror. The kit is around 20 to buy so they are only charging a tenner to fit. It's a no brainer for me as I am not that good at diy to pull apart a brand new car 😁

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be putting a safety camera on lower windscreen area or dash board so would not want feed up to rear mirror.

Thanks for the tip
    2018 Golf EVO 1.5 TSI 130 5 Door Tornado Red ( Delivery April 2018 )

Post Thanks / Like
    One word of warning - not all fitters are as savvy as mentioned previously- a colleague of mine went to a branch of ******ds to have a dashcam fitted and ended up with It being returned with brake lights on permanently, steering error and several other fault codes. His new Peugeot had to go to the dealership for diagnosis and a new ecu fitted after two weeks off the road. If paying thousands for a brand new motor I suggest getting the retailer to fit and you hopefully won't have a legal battle on your hands.
    Obviously there are hundreds fitted without problem and at a reasonable cost, but in my opinion it's not worth the gamble with a new vehicle.
    Regarding mounting position also, I would recommend a high viewpoint rather than base of windscreen as the camera will miss a significant amount of view close to the front of the car if mounted low. Again my own opinion favours tucking the camera in just behind the rear view mirror where it is virtually unnoticeable when driving. The file lock button for marking any key moments is easily reached also. On my Golf the cable is invisibly routed behind trim to side and top of screen, but it's personal choice of course! Good luck and I hope none of us need to refer to dashcam footage!
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12