Thread: New Owner - First Question - Keys

Post Thanks / Like

New Owner - First Question - Keys

Hi,

Just received my new (to me) 2011 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI. My first auto-box and "big" engine. Thought I would have a last "hurrah" before we all go electric!

First off - hello to all fellow forum members.

So - bought my Touareg with a few cosmetic issues which I bartered down for. Missing collapsible spare wheel, Broken LH Front Foglight, Cracked NS Outer Rear Light Cluster Plastic plus a few paint blemishes and wheel allow bubbling - all known about and budgeted for.

However, the seller was also only selling it with one key - which I accepted as well - although now I am kinda nervous. What has made me even more nervous was when I read the handbook. Apparently, the central locking can lock-out and the only solution is to use blade key embedded in the main smart key to get into the car and get the smart key into the ignition to "reset" it. However, when I looked for this blade key, just the stub of it remains - Grrr!

So now getting an additional key has suddenly got very important indeed. Already done some research and getting new keys from the ******** is extortionate. Is there any other way to get a new smart key coded for the car and a new blade key cut without taking the ******* route?

Cheers,
    Harry.
    Last edited by Crasher; 30-04-18 at 17:36. Reason: Please don't refer to the main dealers as thieves

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

New keys can only be ordered and programmed with a VW dealer who has access the VW online computer.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HoratioGee View Post
    Hi,

Just received my new (to me) 2011 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI. My first auto-box and "big" engine. Thought I would have a last "hurrah" before we all go electric!

First off - hello to all fellow forum members.

So - bought my Touareg with a few cosmetic issues which I bartered down for. Missing collapsible spare wheel, Broken LH Front Foglight, Cracked NS Outer Rear Light Cluster Plastic plus a few paint blemishes and wheel allow bubbling - all known about and budgeted for.

However, the seller was also only selling it with one key - which I accepted as well - although now I am kinda nervous. What has made me even more nervous was when I read the handbook. Apparently, the central locking can lock-out and the only solution is to use blade key embedded in the main smart key to get into the car and get the smart key into the ignition to "reset" it. However, when I looked for this blade key, just the stub of it remains - Grrr!

So now getting an additional key has suddenly got very important indeed. Already done some research and getting new keys from the ******** is extortionate. Is there any other way to get a new smart key coded for the car and a new blade key cut without taking the stealer route?

Cheers,
    Harry.
    Hi pal,
    I cant really help with key supply and coding. My approach would be to ask at independent garages in your area which locksmiths they would use in these situations. They’ll soon tell you if it’s dealer only...somehow I doubt it. It may be a case of getting hold of a used key and reprogramming the electronic side and cuttin and fitting a new blade.

My main concern would be to erase pairing of the missing key fron the cars security system as you probably have no idea who has the other key!

4. Thanks HoratioGee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks GolfRLine,

Useful info. Yeah - I will ask around. Currently on contract and being bounced around the country but as soon as we settle in a place for a while (probably Birmingham for a month) I'll ask the forum for any good independent garages in the area. Not too concerned about the missing key as the gut I bought it off seemed reasonably trustworthy and he said straight off that he had just plain lost it. (However, he didn't mention that he had also broken the blade key, so...)

My main concern is how an independent locksmith can cut the new blade key when he has no template to work from? There's only a stub left on the blade I have and, of course, the main "key" doesn't have a blade.

Anyway, I'll keep the post updated with what I find out.
    2011 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have keyless entry then?
    If you want a new plastic emergency key I can't imagine it would cost a fortune from the main dealer. As far as I know keys can be cut using the key number on record. If an independent vehicle locksmith can access that then great but otherwise the task will be getting the info from the dealer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfRLine View Post
    If you want a new plastic emergency key I can't imagine it would cost a fortune from the main dealer
    A new emergency key is part number 7P6 837 216 B INB and costs £75.89 inc VAT, it is a vehicle intelligent part and has to be special ordered using the vehicles VIN and takes around a week to arrive, then it has to be coded in to the immobiliser which is around £100.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    A new emergency key is part number 7P6 837 216 B INB and costs £75.89 inc VAT, it is a vehicle intelligent part and has to be special ordered using the vehicles VIN and takes around a week to arrive, then it has to be coded in to the immobiliser which is around £100.
    We may be talking about different keys here. How and why would you code a plastic key blade that only opens the door and glove box

Post Thanks / Like
    You may be right, I have very little contact with these plastic keys but I thought you could start the car with it, I will have to try one one day. The key number and price are correct.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: