PDA

View Full Version : O.E.M. Tyres on new cars ( not just V.W. and any make of tyre)

Punter
19-11-13, 09:38
Its that time of year ! The dealers all want to sell us ' Winter Tyres' or ' All Weather Tyres'
So just what are the tyres a new car comes on if not 'All Weather' ??.
My 3 month old car spun on a wet road with hail on it at 15 mph !!! Temp was +2 to +4 dg .
Are the 'standard' oem tyres fit for 12 months of the year use in Northern England ?
From my experience its a big NO. And I have been in motorsport for too many years so a slippery surface would not normaly be an issue !
Any thoughts ??

Splitty13
23-01-14, 11:44
Manufacturers seem to pick and choose what brand of tyre to fit depending on what "deal" they can get

Personally I would recommend the winter tyres for the UK and a lot of our customers including the amulance service run winter tyres all year round

Punter
23-01-14, 12:37
Everybody seems to agree the need for winter tyres , more so as you move north.
Interesting that agents have brochures saying you should buy winter tyres from them, but when you point out that 'summer tyres' are 'not fit for purpose' ( ie safe 12 months of the year) they try to say yes they are !!!

Lol me think they speak and or market with forked tongue !!

Profit yes , safety not interested till forced !

P

Splitty13
23-01-14, 12:55
Everybody seems to agree the need for winter tyres , more so as you move north.
Interesting that agents have brochures saying you should buy winter tyres from them, but when you point out that 'summer tyres' are 'not fit for purpose' ( ie safe 12 months of the year) they try to say yes they are !!!

Lol me think they speak and or market with forked tongue !!

Profit yes , safety not interested till forced !

P

Summer tyres or all weather tyres will never be as good in the wet/cold stuff as winter tyres

Winter tyres are at their optimum below 7*c although the safety benefits are far better

Depends what you value

Same as budget vs quality tyres, you pay for what you get

Punter
23-01-14, 13:30
All agreed when you are purchasing tyres.

My point is that on a brand new car the tyres 'should' be good for all year, not six months of it.

The car should be on 'All Weather' not 'Summer' tyres to start with.

This because we have no winter tyre law here.

Splitty13
23-01-14, 14:20
All agreed when you are purchasing tyres.

My point is that on a brand new car the tyres 'should' be good for all year, not six months of it.

The car should be on 'All Weather' not 'Summer' tyres to start with.

This because we have no winter tyre law here.

Summer tyres should be all weather tyres, they are what most people fit all of the time

The summer only comes from people who fit winter tyres if that makes sense

You get either winter tyres or all weather tyres

Punter
23-01-14, 15:27
Summer tyres are not all weather. No good in snow, ice, or very heavy rain. All the tyre company web sites say so. Conti web site even says ' if you must fit a compromise then fit winter or all weather as the performance fall off for summer tyres in the winter season is to extreme for safety compared with the other two. But few tyres have 'summer' on the sidewall. But they are described as such on the company web site's !

Splitty13
23-01-14, 16:37
Yes but have you actually tried buying summer only tyres in the UK?

It is impossible

We only get all weather or winter, having summer tyres in the UK is utterly pointless

It is a general description used by major tyre firms selling tyres worldwide

You get summer/all season and winter. Summer and all weather are the same in the UK

Punter
23-01-14, 17:26
Conti super 5 standard fit Golf se mk7 == summer tyre on conti web site.

Bridgestone standard fit on new GTD also described as a summer tyre on Bridge stone site.

Not hard if you look what the companies say they are !

I guess there are two motor trade people having this chat ! Lol.

Splitty13
23-01-14, 17:33
Conti super 5 standard fit Golf se mk7 == summer tyre on conti web site.

Bridgestone standard fit on new GTD also described as a summer tyre on Bridge stone site.

Not hard if you look what the companies say they are !

I guess there are two motor trade people having this chat ! Lol.

Yuuuppp!! ha ha

I was always led to believe that a "summer" tyre is an "all weather" certainly in the UK

****** motor trade lol

Punter
24-01-14, 08:45
Ah well that's the rub ! Look on adds they NEVER say SUMMER TYRE would you buy a tyre good for 6 months ? no.
Look on tyre company web sites and they ARE called SUMMER tyres with a full list of what they can and can't do !
I contacted four suppliers, all can supply the tyres, NON call them summer tyres !

They may be all year tyres ------ in the south of Spain ! Not here with sun in Devon and drifting snow in Scotland !

P.

Splitty13
24-01-14, 08:55
Ah well that's the rub ! Look on adds they NEVER say SUMMER TYRE would you buy a tyre good for 6 months ? no.
Look on tyre company web sites and they ARE called SUMMER tyres with a full list of what they can and can't do !
I contacted four suppliers, all can supply the tyres, NON call them summer tyres !

They may be all year tyres ------ in the south of Spain ! Not here with sun in Devon and drifting snow in Scotland !

P.

I have just been on Kwik Fits site ( alright dont shoot, only for info I would never buy from them((thats a good story ha ha)) and they only list summer or winter, I am shocked ha ha

Maybe Kwik Fit do know something after all...............................well ok no but

Me thinks its yet another way to get us to spend all our money lol

Punter
24-01-14, 09:15
That's right, but my gripe is with the manufacturer who sends new cars here with tyres only good for six months ( not fit for purpose) then try to flog you winter tyres at over a grand a set ! ( on steel rims).

PS Glad is 20 dg here ( not in uk at the moment so summer tyres OK here :-). )

Splitty13
24-01-14, 09:30
That's right, but my gripe is with the manufacturer who sends new cars here with tyres only good for six months ( not fit for purpose) then try to flog you winter tyres at over a grand a set ! ( on steel rims).

PS Glad is 20 dg here ( not in uk at the moment so summer tyres OK here :-). )

What car or wheel and tyre size do you have then? sounds like a Touareg at those prices

Punter
24-01-14, 10:12
Golf se now , new gtd Monday ! 16" rims se 18" gtd.

Punter
24-01-14, 10:14
VW dealer price remember NOT best price !

Splitty13
24-01-14, 10:32
VW dealer price remember NOT best price !

mmmm my old parts dept where really good and had loads of winter tyre deals cheaper than anyone locally

Used to sell loads of wheel tyre packages and they buy tyres from Goodyear Dunlop direct so a top brand

Generally around £85-£150 per tyre without wheels, only the big stuff was anywhere near £1000

Depends on the dealer though as many just buy from another supplier so will usually be more expensive, its hard for dealers to compete when they are buying from the same places that you or I can go to because they have to show a profit so unless they buy direct there is no hope

We were almost always cheaper than anyone locally and could price match the likes of Black Circles and still make money

Punter
24-01-14, 10:46
Exactly. PS 1k was for 4x rims + tyres !
Mitch are my tyre of choice with Conti or Gislaved second depending on application.

Administrator
26-09-14, 16:41
Hi Everyone

If you are looking for winter wheels and tyres have a look on PerformanceAlloys.com® Europe's Alloy Wheel Experts (http://www.PerformanceAlloys.com) and give them a call mention you are from the VW Forum...

There are some great new winter tyres out this year.

Let me know if i can help anyone i will try my best.

Punter
26-09-14, 18:09
Boy did Winter tyres work on the GTD ! They will be on the Tiguan in November , even 4x4 needs winter tyres for grip !