UK Volkswagen Forum banner

Lights Wont turn off

18K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  steveo67 
#1 ·
Hi,

I got a 2006 fox but sometimes when you turn it off and switch the lights off, the lights don't go off and stay on. Anyone got any idea what could be the problem ?

Thanks

#2 ·
I am having a problem with my longest standing customers (32 years and counting!) four year old Fox whereby the lights sometimes do not come on and I think this is down to a fault in the on-board supply control unit. Do the lights stay on even if the ignition key is out? If so, does anything else continue to be usable such as the wipers, heated rear window and heater blower? To get to the bottom of this would require some time spent with a multimeter and the wiring diagram to assess where the power was coming from when it should not such as the J277 headlight relay under the dash and removing associated fuses to see which drop the power.

#3 ·
Hi Crasher,

Yes the lights stay on even when the ignition is off an the keys are removed. When you open the door you get the beeper that you left the lights on. I think its one of the power relays but I have not been able to find much information about which is which etc. The one I am thinking it is has the number 5Z0941589 on it. It felt warm to touch (not hot) and when I pulled it out the lights went off. Is J277 the same part maybe with a European part number (5Z0941589 says made in Brazil).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.