PDA

View Full Version : Wife buying a Golf, advice please..

ZeroZero
08-02-14, 17:09
My wife is looking for a new or very very low mileage Golf.

We are looking for economy, she does not want too many frills.

This will be her second golf, she needs to trade in and owes 6K on the finance.

Maybe the 1.6 TDI as we think this does 72 mpg (at least in fairyland).

We don't really like the deals being offered by our local vw dealer, the want 11% APR plus 'acceptance' fees and , 'purchase fees'

We would consider a new car or something with around 5k mileage.

We are unsure what to do.. we live in St Albans just north of M25

We could go for another model, but get dizzied by the range...

Any advice would be appreciated thanks...

Keithuk
08-02-14, 22:16
Maybe the 1.6 TDI as we think this does 72 mpg (at least in fairyland).

VW claimed mpg take with a pinch of salt.

amrit
09-02-14, 00:33
Your get around 50-60mpg

How many miles will she do each year, on average if she does 12,000 or more then it's worth getting diesel.

Another issue with diesels is the dpf so if the car will continuously do short journeys keep away from diesels.

Crasher
09-02-14, 14:35
The problem with the 1.6 TDI is that to get the decent MPG (72MPG is as all have said, unattainable in the real world) you have to drive very lightly BUT the engine lacks torque in such a heavy car so they have to be thrashed to make decent progress so in the real world the 2.0L is a better buy.

Astonred
05-04-14, 18:25
check out my fuelly link in signature to see what I'm getting

hopper
05-04-14, 22:12
I'd also recommend the 2.0 if purchasing a diesel for better power and economy although I'm not up to speed with the mk 7 engine range. Also don't be put off if it doesn't have the bluemotion badge, IMO it's all hype unless you really want an annoying stop start clutch system and slightly cheaper road tax.

SpikyBob
05-04-14, 22:25
Just to confuse the issue - I can recommend the 1.4 act petrol - returns very similar mpg to my previous 2.0 tdi dsg golf. I don't miss handling the smelly, messy fuel at the pumps either!

Splitty13
11-04-14, 10:49
Why does everyone criticise the claimed MPG figures?

these are test figures done in a lab so the consumer can compare makes and models

how else would the manufacturers ensure that all test are the same?

of course you are never going to achieve these results in normal driving conditions but with so many elements making a difference how else can it be done?

hopper
11-04-14, 20:02
Why does everyone criticise the claimed MPG figures?

these are test figures done in a lab so the consumer can compare makes and models

how else would the manufacturers ensure that all test are the same?

of course you are never going to achieve these results in normal driving conditions but with so many elements making a difference how else can it be done?

This is true true but unfortunately not how manufacturers themselves advertise their figures. People are often disappointed because they are misled in the first place by the way mpg figures are published. More transparency is needed in the form of a disclaimer or statement alongside these figures stating how the testing is carried out and that expected actual mpg is likely to be significantly less than tests carried out in a lab.

Splitty13
12-04-14, 07:13
This information is available if you ask, granted not all will be bothered to find out but how else do manufacturers test the cars and compare them against others? It makes sense when you think about it
They are lab tested and these are the figures that are advertised to allow the customer an easy to understand comparison between different cars etc

Some of our customers actually beat the claimed results its just we never rave about this only the bad/negative points

How do you expect the figures to be advertised so that all manufacturers are the same and giving an equal base for the customers to understand?

How about if we publish the figures we tested on an actual road yet a competitor did if differently to get a higher figure to increase their sales? now thats misleading and unfair on everyone

If you can think of a better way of equally testing all vehicles then please let us know

hopper
12-04-14, 09:31
This information is available if you ask, granted not all will be bothered to find out but how else do manufacturers test the cars and compare them against others? It makes sense when you think about it
They are lab tested and these are the figures that are advertised to allow the customer an easy to understand comparison between different cars etc

Some of our customers actually beat the claimed results its just we never rave about this only the bad/negative points

How do you expect the figures to be advertised so that all manufacturers are the same and giving an equal base for the customers to understand?

How about if we publish the figures we tested on an actual road yet a competitor did if differently to get a higher figure to increase their sales? now thats misleading and unfair on everyone

If you can think of a better way of equally testing all vehicles then please let us know

I think you've slightly missed my original point here. I agree that the way theses figures are calculated is fair across the board and there is really no other way of doing this, however, not everyone is aware of this and clearly reading some of the posts on various forums its a common misunderstanding that I think should be made clearer to customers.

Splitty13
12-04-14, 09:37
It is made clear if you ask, yes the advertising does not say the full details of how the information is obtained but if it did your adverts would be longer then the TV programme

Most people do not read any of the small print when buying a car so let alone ask how it was tested

Common sense should be enough for people to understand the must be a certain control over the tests and if its not then ask

People are too afraid to ask or get baffled by science if the dealers say too much

Finding a happy medium will not please everybody, nothing ever does

hopper
22-04-14, 21:57
Wow, just seen the Vauxhall insignia advert on TV and when referring to mpg figures it actually stated "for comparison reasons only and may not reflect true driving styles" should this statement be mandatory for all manufactures?

SpikyBob
23-04-14, 00:06
Wow, just seen the Vauxhall insignia advert on TV and when referring to mpg figures it actually stated "for comparison reasons only and may not reflect true driving styles" should this statement be mandatory for all manufactures?

You will of course find the same sort of disclaimer in VW sales literature. This is from the Golf 7 2014 brochure:

"Fuel consumption and CO2 figures are obtained under standardised EU test conditions (Directive 93/116/EEC). This allows a direct comparison between different manufacturer models but may not represent the actual fuel consumption achieved in ‘real world’ driving conditions. More information is available on the Volkswagen web site at www.volkswagen.co.uk and at www.vca.gov.org."

A lot of it is down to driving style on the day and even what's on the radio - I recently got 10% better economy listening to Classic Fm on the morning commute in comparison to Radio 1 the previous day!

Splitty13
23-04-14, 07:14
Its always there somewhere, it has to be and when you think about it it does make sense, you just need to think about it rationally rather than just chomping at the manufacturers bit all the time

You will find that the independants have more misleading advertising than the manufacturers but these are often overlooked or forgotten about for some reason

If manufacturers had to put everything in every advert or piece of literature your TV programmes would be around 30 seconds long, the adverts would go on for hours and the sales brochures would become broadsheet newspapers and this again would cause heartache

Finding a balance and ensuring that the key points rather than general knowledge are put forward in around 30 seconds is the aim not to bore the pants off everyone

flying clutchman
25-04-14, 18:16
My golf 140 2.0ltdi cabrio records 56mpg. on a mixed driving trip. The cabrio is heavier than the saloon so you might get 60. My wife's 1.6tdi saloon only gives about 2mpg better than my car. If you go much over 70mph the consumption drops into the forties. The best consumption is amazingly through light suburban traffic. Both diesels are very relaxed cruisers (2l is a 6 speed , 1.6 5 speed) and are lively performers round town.