UK Volkswagen Forum banner

Buying a used Sharan TDI

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  yeshu26 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have come across a VW Sharan TDI 2008 58 model. It has done 187000 miles as a Private Taxi.

The condition of the bodywork below and under is absolutely mint.
According to the cabby the timing belt, clutch etc have been changed. They were paid in cash, so no receipt.

The car less than half price due to the high mileage. I did a full AA check and it is clear.

I intend to keep it for a long time, so I do not mind reconditioning the engine, suspension and the gearbox (if it comes to that).

It is a 5 gear TDI

Should I buy it?

TIA

Himanshu

#2 ·
Hi, this is a decision only you can make based on what you have checked in terms of the service history and condition of the vehicle. The mileage is high so even with an impeccable VW service history its a gamble in my opinion as so many components are subject to wear and tear, however, if you accept that you will have to spend on possible repairs in addition to ordinary maintenance and you're getting the car at the right price it may work out for you.

#3 ·
It will hit you with some nasty issues such as turbo and DMF failure but other than that the late model Sharlambarxys are very sturdy. We do lots for taxi drivers, one of them is brilliant. Each time we see it is has done less mileage than it had the previous time....

#4 ·
More info folks,

1. Turbo was changed around 62000 miles under warranty, same time clutch and flywheel was changed. He claims he has dealer receipts for it.

May I ask, other than the Engine, gearbox, what else breaks down and is expensive to repair? I consider Brake parts, and exhaust parts as serviceable parts anyway.

Many thanks lads

#6 ·
I didn't think that it needed clarification? What do you want, an accusation? I have the proof, incontrovertible it be too!

Anyway the turbo and clutch/DMF were done when it had covered 62K miles, so now it has done 125K which is double the mileage the original lasted...mmmmmm does that require exemplification?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.