PDA

View Full Version : polo 2001 1.4mpi engine problems

dazdawn
07-08-14, 02:22
hi all and first can i say ty for letting me join this forum

ive just bought a vw polo 1.4 mpi opn a 51 plate
the gearbox was shot so ive replaced the gearbox and put a new clutch in and now my problems start
first when i tried to start it when i turned the key to actuallt start the engine it wouldnt orperate the starter so ive by passed that and put a start button on it
secondly when i start the car it will start and tick over for a while then i idle will drop like its going to stall then after a few seconds it will speed back up to around 900 rpm
then when i try to set of it will set of and then go really sluggish like dieing like it no power
ive changed leads, plugs, coil pack, cleaned all air pipes breathers etc
then one that goes to the box on back of engine was filled with like a light brown gunk ive checked oil and water no signs of head gasket gone but might have in past and its not been cleaned right im not sure but then sometimes like today just started it and left it on tickover for about 30 mins and ticked over quite nice till i tried to set of in it then just started to die like its choking up
now if i set of like a bat out of hell it will spin wheels like made3 or if i put it in reverse it goes really well.. no engine warnign lights on or anything only airbag warning light.
i really carnt understand it and i am in desperate need of help
wife is doing my head in to drive it and well its gonna be car or wife at this rate lol

any help or ideas i would be really gratefull for

Crasher
07-08-14, 15:05
You need a fault code read, just because the MIL isn't on doesn't mean there aren't codes stored that would show the problem.

dazdawn
07-08-14, 23:17
You need a fault code read, just because the MIL isn't on doesn't mean there aren't codes stored that would show the problem.

had it on diagnostics today and it only come up with
engine misfire cylinder 3
he cleared that tried it again come up with misfire 3 and 4
cleared that and then he said leads had been put on wrong and put them right
its still doing same though
now no codes at all but still doing it
only thing done like i said is its had gearbox and clutch
my mate said today though when it come back it smelt like petrol yet thier seems no apparent leak

im totaly lost now as i dont know what to do next

Crasher
08-08-14, 13:35
You need someone competent to work on it, it could be a faulty coil pack, lead(s), plug or worse still, a compression problem.

dazdawn
11-08-14, 23:06
had new coil pack fitted then foud out leads was on wrong way round had back on diagnostic said 02 sensor 1 cleard that and that's not come back on but I took it out on test drive and it flew so thought it was sorted the went back 2 hours later and it was back doing same been told it could be fuel filter could it even be possible its that local mot station had it on their diagnostics

Crasher
12-08-14, 13:18
could it even be possible its that local mot station had it on their diagnostics

Not with you?

If you cleared the codes and drove it with the problem, you now need to read them again and see what comes back. Can you please include the fault code number(s). It is getting to the point that you need someone experienced in this engine to study the measuring block information to see what is happening BUT from what you say I would not be surprised if the pre cat lambda sensor is faulty.

Keithuk
12-08-14, 13:39
The codes for cylinder misfire are the same for all cylinder 1-12 with only the cylinder number changing.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

As said post the error codes found.

e.g.

VAG Error Code: 16685
EOBD II Error Code: P0301

Fault Location:
Cylinder 1 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Lack/loss of power.
Hard start.
Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Ignition system.
Fuel injectors.
Fuel pressure.
Running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve.
Evaporative emission system.
Low compression.
Base engine problems.
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Special Notes:
This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

Tech Notes:
The P0301 code means that the cylinder 1 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks an if no leaks are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 1. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

When is the code detected?:
Engine Cylinder 1 is misfiring.

Description:
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

VAG Error Code: 16684
EOBD II Error Code: P0300

Fault Location:
Random/Multiple Cylinder(s) - Misfire Detected/Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Possible Cause:
Lack/loss of power.
Hard start.
Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Air Intake System leaking.
Fuel Supply faulty.
Injector(s) faulty.
Ignition Cable(s) and/or Spark Plug(s) faulty.
Ignition coil(s) faulty.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve [N18] stuck/open.
Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty.
Low compression.

Possible Solutions:
Check Misfire Recognition.
Check Air Intake System.
Check Fuel Supply.
Check Injector(s) and Injector Sealing.
Check Ignition Cable(s) and Spark Plug(s).
Check Ignition Coil(s).
Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve [N18].
Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40).
Check cylinder compressions.

Special Notes:
This Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) indicates that one or multiple cylinders are misfiring, but the ECU fails to identify the cylinder.

Tech Notes:
The P0300 code means that a cylinder(s) is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks, intake gaskets are common caused of multi-cylinder misfiring. If no leak are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

The control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition.

Description:
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

As taken from my EOBD II Fault Codes Software (http://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/f18/eobd-ii-fault-codes-software-5367.html)

dazdawn
12-08-14, 22:49
went out for a run today in it and it run crap I took foot of accelerator and bang it back down hard and full and away it went nice as pie took it back put it on diagnostics vag.com and their was no codes in it at all
sorry for taking ur time up but I am very gratefull

dazdawn
12-08-14, 23:04
also you know when I start it weather it hot or cold revs are only ever around 850 on tickover thought they might hve been supposed to be higher when cold is it automatic choke because wouldn't that take ticover up when starting from cold..

Fitzy82
29-05-17, 21:49
Hi all I have the same problem with my sister's polo I put in a new clutch kit and now the engine will not crank iam getting code 18010 Power Supply (B+) Terminal 30 Low Voltage any ideas on how to get the engine to crank thanks for all the help

Crasher
30-05-17, 16:50
Did you remember to refit the earth lead to the transmission?

Fitzy82
01-06-17, 11:32
I have the earth lead connection to the gearbox and iam getting code 01176 - Key: Signal too Low is there anyway to fix this code

Crasher
01-06-17, 20:28
That code will not prevent the engine turning over

Fitzy82
09-06-17, 19:42
I tried pulling the car to seen if I can get it to start and it didn't I plugged in a scanner and got these codes 17978,17972,16726 and 16705 iam thinking the ECU might be gone and needs replacing

Fitzy82
17-06-17, 13:15
One of the codes is module locked would this be the problem

Crasher
19-06-17, 20:56
Does the engine turn over on the starter motor?

Fitzy82
20-06-17, 12:06
No the starter motor just gives a click and that's all , I pulled the starter motor and connected it straight to the battery and it starts up, it will not start on a pull start

Keithuk
20-06-17, 12:50
I tried pulling the car to seen if I can get it to start and it didn't I plugged in a scanner and got these codes 17978,17972,16726 and 16705 iam thinking the ECU might be gone and needs replacing

VAG Error Code: 18010/005634
EOBD II Error Code: P1602

Fault Location:
Power Supply Terminal 30 - Voltage too Low/Lower Limit Exceeded/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
Cables on the Battery were removed.
Battery weak (voltage).
Generator Dysfunction.

Possible Solutions:
Check Battery Cables.
Check/Replace Battery.
Check/Replace Generator.

Special Notes:
If multiple Control Module have Power Supply Faults stored, it's most likely to be one common Problem like the ones shown above. Otherwise when only one or two Control Modules have such Codes stored you better start searching at the individual Power Supply of these Modules.
Terminal 30 means unswitched battery power that is supplied even when the ignition is off. This is not referring to any physical terminal numbered 30.

VAG Error Code: 17978/005488/6260/5523
EOBD II Error Code: P1570

Fault Location:
Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer - Intermittent

Possible Cause:
Immobilizer Warning Lamp ON.
Engine starting but stalling immediately.

Key(s) not matched.
Instrument Cluster not matched.
Engine Control Module (ECM) not matched.
Engine Control Module (ECM) Power Supply faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check for Fault Codes in Immobilizer itself (part of Instrument Cluster in many cars, but separate Immobilizer Control Module in some).
Check Immobilizer Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) (usually in Instrument Cluster or Immobilizer Control Module).
Match Key(s)/Instrument Cluster/Electronic Control Unit (ECU) (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Diagnostic_Procedures#Immobilizer_Information).
Check Engine Control Module (ECM) Power Supply (Relay).

Special Notes:
In case of Engine Starting Issues please make sure that you are really experience an Immobilizer related Problem! Even if the Immobilizer engages, the Engine will still start fine but cut out after 2-3 Seconds. If you are NOT experiencing this behaviour (e.g. Engine doesn't start at all) your Problem is very likely NOT Immobilizer related.
May be stored in Combination with 01176 - Key: Signal too Low in Immobilizer Control Module.
If no other immobilizer related fault codes are stored and the immobilizer related measuring blocks (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-measuring-blocks.html) are fine except Engine Start not allowed, in rare occasions it helps to try cold-booting the car. Remove both battery cables from the battery. Short the battery cables together (away from the battery) for about 15 seconds. Reconnect the battery. (Example.)
Low battery voltage (including a faulty battery) may cause Immobilizer system malfunctions and testing should be done only with a known good battery installed.

VAG Error Code: 17972/005476
EOBD II Error Code: P1564

Fault Location:
Throttle Valve Actuator Module [J338] - Under-Voltage During Basic Setting

Possible Cause:
Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Throttle_Body_Alignment_(TBA)) unsuccessful.

Battery Voltage too Low.

Possible Solutions:
Check Battery Voltage.
Connect Battery Charger for Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Throttle_Body_Alignment_(TBA))

VAG Error Code: 16726/000834
EOBD II Error Code: P0342

Fault Location:
Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) - Signal too Low/Short Circuit to Earth

Possible Cause:

Wiring/Connector(s).
Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) faulty.
Timing misaligned.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40).
Check Timing.

Special Notes:
When found in Skoda Fabia (5J) with 1.2l MPI Engine, check Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40). See Technical Product Information (TPI) 2020297 (AM 2009/25) for further details and part numbers.

Tech Notes:
Sometimes and in some models, low battery voltage or a weak starter can trigger a Camshaft Position Sensor code.

The camshaft position sensor signal is sent the Engine Control Module (ECM) is too low.

Description:
The Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor is an electronic device used in an engine to record the rate at which the camshaft is spinning. This information is used by the Engine Control Module (ECM) to control ignition and fuel injection. The Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor senses the retraction of camshaft (intake) to identify a particular cylinder. The Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor senses the piston position. The sensor system consists of a rotating part, typically a disc, as well as a static part, the actual sensor.

When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. The change in the magnetic field cause the voltage from the sensor to change.

When the Crankshaft Position Sensor system becomes inoperative, the Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals.

VAG Error Code: 16705/4514/000801
EOBD II Error Code: P0321

Fault Location:
Engine Speed Sensor [G28] - Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
Engine shuts off.
Engine doesn't start.
Tachometer inoperative.
Glow Plug Indicator Lamp (K29) flashes.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Engine Speed Sensor [G28] loose.
Engine Speed Sensor [G28] faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Check Engine Speed Sensor [G28].
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

Special Notes:
The Engine Speed Sensor [G28] is also used as a reference sensor for the crankshaft position and correlates with the Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor Bank 1 (G40) and Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor 2 Bank 2 (G163).
When found in a VW Golf/Jetta (1J/9M) or Audi A3 (8L) with 1.9l TDI-PD (AXR), check Technical Product Information (TPI) 2007067 which explains issues with electro magnetic interference. A modification to the wiring will fix this problem, extensive details can be found in the named Technical Product Information (TPI). Even though this Technical Product Information (TPI) was originally released for VW Golf/Jetta (1J/9M), a customer of ours came across the same issue on an Audi A3 (8L).
When found in a 2004 VW Golf, Jetta, or New Beetle with 1.9l TDI-PD (BEW), check for Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 2010461 (01-07-45 formerly 97-05-03) or 201463 (01-07-44 formerly 97-05-04) calling for a flash update to the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) and a secondary ground installation.
VW Vehicles with the Most TSBs

The P0321 code is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the signal is out of range.

Description:
Ignition failure sensor is used to check whether the spark ignition is occurred correctly or not and also used to tachometer drive. The sensor monitors the voltage difference between a resistance which is on the battery circuit for ignition coil. When the ignition coil works properly, the electric current through the resistance is detected as voltage drop. This is confirmed for every ignition event with the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor. If Engine Control Module (ECM) detects a malfunction, no ignition is possible, so the engine would not start. If there is no ignition signal for a predetermined cycle for one or two ignition coils, an ignition coil circuit failure exists.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software (http://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/f18/eobd-ii-fault-codes-software-5367.html)

Crasher
20-06-17, 12:54
You need to deal with the non cranking first which will probaly lead to the main issue, are you absolutely sure the battery is fully charged?

Fitzy82
25-06-17, 22:11
Ya the battery charger I have is brand new and it said to leave the battery on charge for 24 hours and I tried a brand new battery in the car and I was getting three clicks from the starter motor I checked all the leads and they are all tight

Crasher
26-06-17, 17:32
You need to double check your gearbox earth lead from the body to the starter motor bolt. We did the clutch on a T5 van last week and a few days later it would not start. The starter solenoid to motor cable had failed for no good reason but sometimes on old cars when you disconnect something, other parts get upset at being moved. What are the details of this car?