UK Volkswagen Forum banner

Looking to buy a Golf GT TDI

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Hazmanscoop 
#1 ·
Afternoon all,

I am currently looking at these cars to buy.

I currently own a 14 year old modified saxo VTS but getting older (Me and the Car) ive decided that i should probably grow up and get something more suitable.

So any issues that i should be aware of with these cars?

I know they have a new generation of engines (CR as apposed to the old, bulletproof PD) and have read issues concerning injector problems and airbag ECU faults as well as the flywheel (Dual mass) being a problem.

I have around £5k to spend and have found a few lower mileage examples (Around 60-70k)

Any help would be appreciated!

I have found this one, but i think its a mk5?

2006 Volkswagen Golf 2.0gt tdi, 68k miles | eBay

cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks quite a nice straight car from the ad, has the cambelt been done, it ain't cheap?
Someone on the forum was selling a mk6 last week, higher miles but newer in black. Might be worth trawling the forum.
Good luck, I have mk6 gt tdi, and it's a great car.

#3 ·
You need to be slightly wary of this car. Firstly no it is not a common rail engine, it is a PD 16v BUT not the normal 140PS model, it is ALLEGEDLY fitted with the 170PS BMN type code engine BUT crucially this information is incorrectly entered on its registration details which to me screams PERSONAL IMPORT so make sure the rest of the cars spec is correct. I can't do this for you over the weekend/bank holiday.
These are the cars details as accurately as I can get them out of work hours.

VRM: SY55EGK
Make: VOLKSWAGEN
Model: Golf
Model Version: 5A (2/2004 - 9/2009)
Manufacturer Version: 1K1
Derivative: GT
Description: GOLF GT TDI
Steering Position: Right Hand Drive
Body: Hatchback
Colour: ALUMINIUM/SILVER
Doors: 5 Doors
Drive: Front
Transmission: Manual
Gears: 6 Gears
Engine Size: 2.0 litres
Exact CC: 1968
Fuel: Diesel
Fuel Delivery: Turbo
Valves: 16 Valves
BHP: 170
KW: 125
Engine Code: 040
Cylinders: 4 Cylinders
Weight: 1870kg
Emissions: 186g Km CO2
VIN: WVWZZZ1KZ6B040801
Engine Number: 040801
Registered Date: 01-JANUARY-2006
Manufactured Date: 2005

The full type number is possibly 1K1 B82, this will be on the data sticker as will the engine code. The full engine number is only easily visible printed on the sticker attached to the cam belt cover.
I get the approximate date of manufacture to be August 2005 at the Brussels plant in Belgium.
If it is a proper 170PS model, the engine will be a BMN code, if it is BKD, the engine is 140PS.
Whatever, the car is slightly incorrectly registered with part of the VIN being shown as the engine number which is wrong and in some circumstances this could create issues…

#4 · (Edited)
Dear me, how did you get all of this??? Impressive!

A lot of info there but I have to say I don't understand it all!

What at is the problem with personal imports? and the engine? What's the difference between 140 and 170ps?

And whats the the problem with the engine and VIN number?

Thanks for all of that info though!

ive just read that the difference is the bhp for each engine! Which is the better engine?

Are you saying this car doesn't directly show which engine is in it?

#5 ·
Personal imports are fine (I imported a lot of cars in the very late 90's/early 00's when it was popular) as long as they are the correct spec that you are paying for but there is a big difference in power so insurance and other running costs BUT the 170PS engine is the one people want, it is very uncommon and a good unit BUT it is THE ONE engine that is fitted to the Golf 5 which has suffered terrible injector issues which VW are supposed to have put right under good will. If they haven't done this it is important to remember that each injector costs £380 (they were once double that!) and they are not a five minute job to fit either so it is vital to establish with VW UK that "Campaign" 23H9 has been carried out, there should be a sticker in the spare wheel well to indicate this but most end up in the round bin shaped receptacle.... The VIN (not VIN number as it means Vehicle Identification Number) is correct as far as I can see, the engine number is not and this could cause problems with the Police if ever it ended up being inspected. It would be worth having this put right but be prepared to deal with the DVLA.............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.