UK Volkswagen Forum banner

Water coming into car when using rear washer

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  johndixon14 
#1 ·
Hello there

FIrst time poster here - very impressed with the forums.

Can you help please?

Yesterday I noticed a slight burning smell when driving along. Going around 40 mph on a country lane - nothing out of the ordinary. I checked under the bonnet but could see no smoke or visable sign of damage.

About 20 minutes later - at a set of traffic lights - I used my front windscreen jet and then my back windscreen jet. The front was OK, but the back squirted water INTO the car - on the passenger side's footwell, directly under the glove box. It also squirted where it should have - onto the back windscreen.

Could the burning smell and the leakage be connected? Does the cable from the reservoir to the back windscreen jet run through the passenger side? Any ideas/fixes etc would be greatly appreciated for this beginner to car maintenance.

Many thanks

James
Fox 1.4l 2009 owner

See less See more
#5 ·
Similar problem relating to rear washer. ours had split due to very severe freezing.

Can confirm that the water tube runs along the interior sill to the rear of the vehicle when it the goes up into the cavity adjacent to rear side window and the via a gland into the rear boot.

Booked mine ionto local garage who ran a new tube--I tried myself but coluld not get through the gland that also carries the electrics to rear boot for lights/wipers etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.