UK Volkswagen Forum banner

golf MK4 door won't unlock

22K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mabgolf001 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I will be very gratefull for any help!!!!

I have a 2001 MK4 Golf TDI. Yesterday I unlocked the car as usual, with the remote, all doors unlocked apart from the passenger door. I tried repeatedly, but to no effect. The door will not even unlock by pulling on the interior handle or by pressing the interior unlock button on the drivers door. the actuator dose'nt even make a noise, all the other door work as usual. When I do pull the interior door handle, the lock button pops up but drops when released. The long and short of it is I can't unlock the passenger door! There is no key hole on the handle and I cant get the door card off until the door is open. I guess there must be a way of opening the door incase the motor totaly failes...... Dose anyone know how?

#2 ·
DMBTDI said:
Hi everyone, I will be very gratefull for any help!!!!

I have a 2001 MK4 Golf TDI. Yesterday I unlocked the car as usual, with the remote, all doors unlocked apart from the passenger door. I tried repeatedly, but to no effect. The door will not even unlock by pulling on the interior handle or by pressing the interior unlock button on the drivers door. the actuator dose'nt even make a noise, all the other door work as usual. When I do pull the interior door handle, the lock button pops up but drops when released. The long and short of it is I can't unlock the passenger door! There is no key hole on the handle and I cant get the door card off until the door is open. I guess there must be a way of opening the door incase the motor totaly failes...... Dose anyone know how?
You say that ....

Will it not open when you pull the handle from inside??

#3 ·
No, it won't. When I pull the handle the locking button should pop up and manualy unlock the door, but it just drops back down when released. The central locking actuator dosent operate electricaly, I'm assuming the dead lock is on and this is why I can't open the door.

I have now managed to remove the section of the exrerior door handle that usualy houses the exterior lock so I now have a way of getting into the door, or be it a very small one.

Any ideas????????????????

#9 ·
Not sure if anyone will see this as its an old post but when you say you 'changed the bloody thing' what part did you change? Was it just the actuator?? I have this exact problem on my golf at the moment. How did you suddenly get it open to take the door car off as well?

#10 ·
Hi everyone, I will be very gratefull for any help!!!! I have a 2001 MK4 Golf TDI. Yesterday I unlocked the car as usual, with the remote, all doors unlocked apart from the passenger door. I tried repeatedly, but to no effect. The door will not even unlock by pulling on the interior handle or by pressing the interior unlock button on the drivers door. the actuator dose'nt even make a noise, all the other door work as usual. When I do pull the interior door handle, the lock button pops up but drops when released. The long and short of it is I can't unlock the passenger door! There is no key hole on the handle and I cant get the door card off until the door is open. I guess there must be a way of opening the door incase the motor totaly failes...... Dose anyone know how?
I have the same passenger door problem with a Golf mk4 '99 RHD . I discovered that after unlocking normally from the driver's door, the button pos up but door won't open. I give it a good thump with my fist just above the handle and presto it opens most of the time . Now I am waiting for a new lock replacement and I don't need to rip up the door card. Hope somebody finds this useful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.