Thread: Start/stop

Post Thanks / Like

Start/stop

Is there a way to permanently switch this off. On my SV I switch it off the second I get in the car to drive off but it seems to reset again when Iíve turned the engine off.
    I can imagine itís not doing the battery or starter much good or am I worrying over nothing. Incidentally how much is a battery for a golf sv 1.6 TDI? Bet itís a fair bit more than the £50 my old car used to relieve me of every 4 years.
    Just clocked up 1000 miles. Reckon Iím getting around 50mpg but havenít really tried as still getting used to the car. Itís no performance car by any means but itís got more than enough grunt for me.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.6 TDI-CR, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Might be a way .

When the battery gets weaker with age but will still start the car with ease the strain stop will stop working all on it's own

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl SV View Post
    Is there a way to permanently switch this off. On my SV I switch it off the second I get in the car to drive off but it seems to reset again when I’ve turned the engine off.
    This is the way this gimmick is designed to operate. Switching it off with one simple dab on a switch soon becomes second nature, it is a lot less hassle than finding and clicking a seatbelt and we all have got used to that.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    I find that the start/stop only operates when I press the brake firmly... and a gentle press is enough to operate the parking brake. So for me, I can choose when I want the start/stop to operate or not. (It avoids unnecessary pollution when a traffic light goes red just as you are approaching for example.)

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a way to permanently switch this off. On my SV I switch it off the second I get in the car to drive off but it seems to reset again when I’ve turned the engine off.
    I can imagine it’s not doing the battery or starter much good or am I worrying over nothing. Incidentally how much is a battery for a golf sv 1.6 TDI? Bet it’s a fair bit more than the £50 my old car used to relieve me of every 4 years.
    Crasher Jan 2018
    Theoretically it reduces emissions in the government testing cycle but the new RDE1 figures show the savings are no where near those envisaged. in reality it buggers the starter and battery and the more it gets used the less fuel it saves as the poor alternator is cranking its guts out trying to charge the battery back up. Not only that but a decent size AGM battery like the one I have siting behind me (Yuasa YBX115), retails at £250. Not only that but stop/start really irritates me, when test driving a customers car I turn it off.

Crasher
    Feb 2018
    Stop/start was first introduced by VAG in 1981 and dropped soon after as it was realised it caused excessive wear and tear and made no discernible difference to overall tailpipe emissions, the reduction is offset by the increased electrical drain and the re-heating/cooling of the cabin. I was working on these cars in the early 80's and everyone hated it but you could turn it off with the flick of a switch and leave it off, that is now against the rules. I have heard of two cases this winter where a car stopped and would not re-start because the battery was flat, one was a customer of ours and the other a journo for Autocar magazine.

Keith UK
    Feb 2018
    When I was working one of the guys bought a new Audi A3. I asked him how he was coping with the stop/start system. He said its a nuisance he turned it off in the settings.

Crasher
    July 18
    Stop start systems, if they are progress... stupid idea when VAG first did it in the 80’s, still a stupid idea. The cost savings in fuel are wiped out by higher maintenance costs.

Crasher October 2018
    All of a sudden the trend we have seen now for years where a battery would last a decade or more has gone, the funny thing is this started to become apparent about the same time early gen2 stop/start cars came out of warranty, apparently the mood is buoyant in the battery and starter motor replacement industry, they have not seen such business in living memory. In the early 80’s VAG brought out a few cars with SSA, stop start automatic. This was abandoned within a few years due to the huge increase in warranty claims on starters, alternators and batteries. If you think AGM battery life is crap at about four years, wait until lots of you (not in this life, me) are driving around in electric cars which need a new battery at seven years, yes better you say but at £10000 plus fitting, that is if the car hasn’t incinerated you first...

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ot-mode-report

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-...nagers/9747648

This isn’t restricted to Tesla, Lithium Ion batteries are a crazy solution to a problem that does not exist

https://www.motortrend.com/news/byd-...an-gtr-211017/

Just down the road from where I live and it happened again last week

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-36401455

We are going down another crazy I’ll considered diesel disaster type road again and still no one can tell me what the authorities are going to do in 20 years time with millions of tonnes of discarded batteries, it is as insane as Elon Musk!

Keith UK
    October 18
    The stop/start is a pain in the backside its been talked about many times if you search the forum.

Crasher Nov 2018
    The stupid SSA system wrecks flywheels, starters and batteries, that’s apparently environmental friendly, so they say.

Crasher Nov 2018
    Or get it programmed out, not difficult... often I do wonder about progress, most of it is short sighted box ticking to keep those people who whinge quiet.

Crasher Dec 2018
    Stop start should be turned off full stop, it causes accelerated starter motor and ring gear wear/failure and stresses the battery BUT as a garage owner I love stop start, it is a good money earner for me especially as modern VAG cars are extraordinarily sensitive to poor battery performance, drop a volt and all hell brakes lose, Christmas tree dashboard....

Crasher Dec 2018
    SSA kills the ring gear, starter motor and battery which to be honest ain't rocket since to work out, effectively in the average journey to work you must be accelerating the systems wear by dozens of times. Anyway you don't need any daft gizmo, a competent operator can code it out in a few seconds with suitable software.

Crasher Jan 2019
    Being as he is an Ozzy he does not know that the system is a legal requirement imposed by the EU but he is right in that it is BS and causes accelerated wear and has naff all affect on overall emissions, it just shows a short term reduction at points of high traffic concentration such as busy junctions and pedestrian crossings outside schools, overall it causes an increase in emissions spread out over a wider area.

Keith UK May 19
    The stop/start system VAG vehicles use is another technical crap, some models you can disable it in settings.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.

6. Likes Crasher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That Crasher doesn't half go off on a rant doesn't he...
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    That Crasher doesn't half go off on a rant doesn't he...
    Not at all but folk could do worse than listen and learn from him.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can imagine it’s not doing the battery or starter much good or am I worrying over nothing. Incidentally how much is a battery for a golf sv 1.6 TDI? Bet it’s a fair bit more than the £50 my old car used to relieve me of every 4 years.
    Just clocked up 1000 miles. Reckon I’m getting around 50mpg but haven’t really tried as still getting used to the car. It’s no performance car by any means but it’s got more than enough grunt for me.
    I have recently had my stop/start switched off "permanently" via VCDS on my 2013 Golf. Stop/start is programmed not to work in extremely low temperatures in order to protect the battery. The recoding (in my case) was to make the feature cut in only at temperatures above 50 degrees Celsius.
    2013 Golf SE 1.4 TSI DSG Pacific Blue Parking Assistant

10. Thanks Crasher thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure I've made a comment before about the stop/start in here. I used to work with a guy that bought a new Audi A3. I asked him about the stop/start. He said its total crap I've turned it of in the settings.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.