Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre 2009 diesel vehicles

Post Thanks / Like

Pre 2009 diesel vehicles

Those of us who have pre 2009 vehicles might be pushed off the roads by new legislation from the UK government because of the VW diesel scandal. 2009 onwards VW diesel vehicles will be able to claim off VW, but the rest of us will have to claim off the government. The situation looks bleak.

2. Dislikes Crasher disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have one of each, a pre and a post 2009 VW diesel. The sheer number of VW group diesels on the road will make the government pause before acting. I think we should wait and see (without panicking!) because this story has much further to go. I only realised today that the nature of emissions tests - being conducted on a rolling road- means that car manufacturers are obliged to write software to detect that a test is being undertaken and adjust the way the car behaves. Specifically, modern cars must be fitted with electronic stability control (ESC) and ordinarily this will detect rolling road conditions as a skid and apply the brakes (driven wheels turning, other not, means skid). So, all modern cars can detect when they are on a rolling road and the ESC as a minimum must operate differently (e.g. be switched off). How tempting to adjust a few other settings whilst you're writing this software. I think we'll see that this is widespread and not just VW. Incidentally, it's not yet clear whether the emissions adjustments fiddle was done anywhere outside the USA.

4. Likes Crasher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will be interesting to see what happens...

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with an indie mechanic today and he was under the impression that it is only vehicles between 07-09 that are effected? Is this the case?
    2018 Caddy Highline 2.0 TDI-CR Engine code yet to be discovered?

7. Dislikes Crasher disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a golf 1.9 match tdi on a 58 plate. Will vw do a recall im sure they will know what models have problems
    Golf Mk5 2008 1.9 tdi match 5 door hatch
    Engine code BXE. 77KW
    Transmission JCR
    colour LA7T

9. Dislikes Crasher disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For Gods sake it is a problem with NOX (various oxides of nitrogen) due to alterations in the deployment of Urea Ad Blue additive in driving cycles of California market diesels. What the f*** you think this would have anything to do with an EU4 car in the UK I have no idea! EU5 is cars with a DPF and it it does not apply to those and EU6 is the latest spec with Selective Catalytic Reduction and guess what, it does not apply to those either!!! GET IT? It does not apply to ANY car yet made for the UK, get real people! If a journalist could be sent to prison for misrepresenting the facts in a problem then we would have to be holding open courts in the streets right now, this whole thing is metal hysteria, absolutely ****** insane! Read this if you absorb nothing else, the issue is not with Co2 emissions, it with with NOX, these figures are nothing to do with VED!
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Crasher, I'm not sure exactly what it is that I wrote that you disliked, however I clearly am not as clued up as you on the whole Volkswagen scene so forgive me if I don't have the knowledge that you do and I have to rely upon that that is reported.

I will not take offence to your superiority nor will I expect an apology but that's life???!
    2018 Caddy Highline 2.0 TDI-CR Engine code yet to be discovered?

Post Thanks / Like
    Now we know ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Now we know ?
    that was supposed to be a smiley face But my mobile changed it to a ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwcaddyman View Post
    Crasher, I'm not sure exactly what it is that I wrote that you disliked, however I clearly am not as clued up as you on the whole Volkswagen scene so forgive me if I don't have the knowledge that you do and I have to rely upon that that is reported.

I will not take offence to your superiority nor will I expect an apology but that's life???!
    Not you, the whole general subject, YOU personally have my apologies if it seemed individually directed and unjustified but the whole thing is winding me up. If it seemed fair/balanced I would go along with it but it is the usual VW bashing I have lived with for 35 years, mainly from Americans.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast