Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel arch liner modification

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel arch liner modification

Hi, About to replace N/S front wing, so that the liner doesn't rub through the paint again how do I modify it?
    2004 Passat Highline Estate 2.0 TDI-PD AWX 131PS GGB LY3D

Splitty13
    Stop and check

If there is corrosion to the wing caused by the sponge on the inner wing then VW may do all of this for you under the anticorrosion warranty

Quick drive in and check should be all it takes

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried them and they are willing to do a good will gesture and pay 50% and replace both wings, but I would have to pay approximately 500. Got a brand new wing sprayed and delivered for 125 and the other wing is not so bad and can be repaired. Just want to know what modification they do to the arch liners. Very impressed with VW though, admitted that it was a known fault, customer service was first rate.

Splitty13
    VW wing or non genuine? these will rust as not galvanised and you could end up paying twice

Ask a VW approved bodyshop, they should be able to tell you, I thought they just left the sponge out and reshaped the liner but may be wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    The car is 10 years old, the new wing is painted on the outside and baked and under sealed on inside, it will last me long enough.

Splitty13
    and still has a corrosion warranty, some cheap ones are lucky to make it a year or two but as long as its cheap eh, great come resale time

500 for two to VW standard with yours costing 125 without fitting or galvanised you are saving around 50 a side by time its fitted

Sounds like a bargain

Post Thanks / Like
    yer whatever

Will cost me nothing to fit apart from some of my time. wing and paint job comes with a 12 month warrenty. Other wing will be fixed by me so again will cost me nothing. The main point is I cant pluck 500+ out of thin air so yes its a bargain.
    Last edited by Madrat; 26-03-14 at 17:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    vw wings or not you should still take a couple of mm off the outside edge of the arch liner I used a Stanley knife and a file If you want it nice and smoooooth you can always finish it off with some emery cloth. The sponge is by far the worst thing fitted to the golf.
    2007 Golf 2.0 TDI-PD BKD 140PS

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, had an idea that's what it was but wanted to check.

Splitty13
    Have we gone into the chav forum now? Where's Jeremy Kyle

Time is valuable to some of us but if you dont want a freebie from VW then best wishes, only a point to note and you get 2 years warranty on all VW work

My time is very precious so to save 50 but waste 3 hours I would rather pay and know its done to the best standard and shouldnt trust for a least another 10 years rather than 2

Bargain? its a matter of opinion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast