Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excessive inner rear tyre wear

Post Thanks / Like
    Eem, rear tyre ware is a little concerning. I notice the rear wheels on my car look as if they are leaning onto the rear inner edge of the tyres somewhat. The car has only done 5,000 miles but I'm wondering about taking it back to the dealer and having the rear alignment checked under warranty. Has anyone done this?

Gra
    2017 Sharan SEL 2.0 TDI-CR, SCR 184 6spd DSG, Atlantic Blue, Palladium Grey Alcantara, Xenon headlights, electric rear doors, rear camera, folding mirrors, Dynaudio sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    All VAG models using the independent rear suspension of this type should have their inner control arm bushes replaced with more study parts such as Powerflex and then the camber (set on the upper arm) adjusted to the high side of its tolerance and then the tracking set in the new bush to match. Worn rear bump stops are also a contributor.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    All VAG models using the independent rear suspension of this type should have their inner control arm bushes replaced with more study parts such as Powerflex and then the camber (set on the upper arm) adjusted to the high side of its tolerance and then the tracking set in the new bush to match. Worn rear bump stops are also a contributor.
    I have the same problem on my Passat Bluemotion Estate and is booked in for a 4-wheel wheel alignment and adjustment in 7-days time.
    I have just fitted brand new Hankook Ventus Evo2 tyres and rear spring assisters (secondary coil springs fitted inside the original coil springs) because we tow a big caravan to Europe each year and I felt the car sat quite low anyway.

Looking at the geometry of the suspension, I can see how the tryes are more likely to wear on the inner edges when loaded or towing, but the car appears to be running on the inner edges when unloaded, even now after the rear spring assisters are fitted and the car is now sitting high.

Before she goes in for the wheel alignment, I would like to consider replacing what you call the 'inner control arm bushes.' I have had a look online and am struggling to identify which bushes you are referring to!
    You couldn't point to an image or schematic diagram by any chance so I can work out which bushes they are.

The closest I can find is in this video, but think you might mean something else. Cheers.

Last edited by Steamerpoint; 28-05-19 at 13:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Often the inner bush looks like this and the head side of the bolt has to be air saw cut off CAREFULLY from the inside of the subframe to get it out because as has happened here, the steel bolt is rusted solid in the bushes inner sleeve

Technically speaking from VW's point of view you can't replace these bushes on their own, you have to replace the lower arm

BUT you can buy the bush in OE form aftermarket from Febi although I recommend people fit the heavy duty Powerflex version which I don't seem to have a picture of which is remiss of me but you can buy them here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Passat...item564f23cba5 . This is a new full Febi lower arm with standard bush. Not just because you usually have to cut the bolt out but because they are one time only, you also need the inner bolts which are the tracking (toe) adjust

2 x WHT 000 228 Eccentric bolt for original 97.5mm version
    2 x WHT 001 761 for original 90mm version
    2 x WHT 000 232 Eccentric washer
    2 x N 101 064 02 Nut

plus the outer arm fasteners and you may as well do the bushes which are 1K0 505 553 A from VW or Powerflex https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Passat...item564f23cba5

>19-11-13

2 x N 106 286 01 bolt >19-11-13

19-11-13>

2 x N 106 405 01 bolt

and nut

2 x N 010 64 02

When we have the camber set, we ask our chap to set it to the top of the tolerance, as the typical system is the standard Pr-1JA the spec is -1 20ʹ +/- 30ʹ so we get it set at -1, technically speaking the nuts should also be replaced... N 101 064 02.
    The we have the rear tracking (toe) set to spec at +10ʹ exactly, no tolerance allowed!
    The wheel alignment MUST be carried out at the correct ride height which varies according to specification but a standard car is 383mm +/- 10mm measured from the dead centre of the wheel to the lip of the arch

We are doing a full subframe rebuild, powercoat new links and selected Powerflex bushes in a week or so.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your quick reply.

So just to clarify then, the bushes you recommend changing are the lower arm bushes at the top, inner ends where they attach the sub frames and have the eccentric bolts to adust the toe?
    Marked by letter A on my photo.

Would you recommend changing the lower arm outer bushes at the brake/hub assembly end also. Marked by a letter B on my photo.

The corrosion is minimal on my Passat at the moment and the bolts have undone without problem, though I haven't touched the eccentric bolts when fitting the coil spring assisters.

If you rate Powerflex, then that is good enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes primarily A but with the arm off, B as well.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you.
    I'll get some fitted before the alignment adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered the inner and outer arm Powerflex bushes from templetuning.co.uk. Both arms for 75.38.

Rang VW for the eccentric bolts, but for some reason they tell me that the eccentric bolts come in two halves, coming through the arm from each side and at 9.62 each half or 19.24 for each arm, I might see if the original bolts clean up and can be reused! Eeek

Post Thanks / Like
    It would have been nice if you have ordered them from the links...

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    Apologies, I had no idea you were connected in any way to the links. I rang Powerflex Suspension Bushes to check I got the correct bushes for my 2013 B7. The link you posted said:

"Volkswagen Passat B6 3C (2006-2012) Powerflex Rear Lower Spring Mounts Inner PFR85-510

Powerflex Rear Lower Spring Mounts Inner for: Volkswagen Passat B6 3C (2006-2012)"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12