Thread: Passat B7 Rear Wheel Bearing.

Post Thanks / Like

Passat B7 Rear Wheel Bearing.

I'm looking at changing a rear wheel bearing on my 2011 B7 Passat. As this is my first VW I'm wondering what the story is with releasing the rear brakes so I can remove the caliper and disc. Can I just leave the ignition on and the parking brake released, so the pads are free of the disc. How does everyone else do it, any help lads ?
    2011 Passat Estate B7 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    I am shocked it needs replacing, are you sure it is not just a noisy tyre as is extremely common on this car? The caliper can be unbolted with its carrier just by having the handbrake off, to dismantle the pad carrier you must wind the handbrake motors off using a diagnostic system to put the system in maintenance mode. The 3C Passat takes a 32-mm rear wheel bearing, VW part number 1T0 598 611 B which is around 135 but we sell the Febi three piece kit for 73 including carriage and VAT. The worst part of the job is releasing and then tightening the bolt which requires a 3/4" drive M18 XZN and the specification is 200 Nm + 180 (1/2 turn) further. The first M18 XZN I bought (of the type of the left) sheared off whilst I was applying the 1/2 turn and left me in a painful crumpled heap on the floor. To apply this 1/2 turn we use a special 3/4" drive breaker bar with a six foot scaffold bar over the handle so we can apply the turn which is very difficult to do.

2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

3. Likes oktember liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Crasher, I have heard that bolt can be a pig to tighten. I'm sure it's a bearing, noise starts around 40mph up to about 50mph. Above that all you hear is road noise, which depending on the tyre, can be quite bad on these cars apparently. Like I said, it's my first VW after years of Fords and I'm still getting used to all the common problems on this model. You say you're shocked to hear of the bearing going, it's done 80k now, but it did seem to start making the noise all of a sudden, not the gradual kind of rumble you get when a bearing starts to fail. I jacked up the wheel to check for play but there's nothing, maybe I'll swap the wheel with the spare, just to eliminate the tyre.
    2011 Passat Estate B7 2.0 TDI-CR