Thread: MQB problems - do they exist here?

Post Thanks / Like

MQB problems - do they exist here?

I, quite by accident became aware of this SV model yesterday and was quite taken aback by it, as it appeared to fulfill my current needs for a bigger car and one that is easier to get in and out of. When I came home with all the brochures and did some research I then realised that this is really just a larger Golf MK7 which I have found and read about extensively of VW forums and which seems to be plagued with annoying suspensions problems to say the least.
    I was wondering whether these problems are now to be visited on the SV as it shares the same modular platform? To be honest after having owned two Golfs, I found the MK7 to be a disappointment from so many aspects but to me, sitting in the SV, was a revelation as it has so much more headroom unlike the claustophobic new Golf.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the SV!

As I get older I find that the normal Golf is just too low down and cramped for my liking - in fact I went from a Golf Mk4 to an Octavia to get a decent sized boot, but have now returned to a Golf Plus/Golf SV sized car.

The MQB platform is now used being used in all new Volkswagen Group cars from the VW Polo, to the Passat and new Touran, Skoda Fabia, Rapid, Octavia, Audi A3, A4 etc so I do not believe there are any fundamental suspension problems with it. (If there were, it would hit all VAG sales dramatically!!

The only point to be aware of are that there are two versions of the rear suspension depending on the power of the car's engine. For the SV, the 1.2TSI and 1.6TDI cars have the simpler torsion bar rear axle, while the 1.4TSI and 2.0TDI cars have the more complex multilink suspension. The same may be true of other MQB cars, but I haven't heard of any particular problems being attributed to either design.

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
    Welcome to the SV!

As I get older I find that the normal Golf is just too low down and cramped for my liking - in fact I went from a Golf Mk4 to an Octavia to get a decent sized boot, but have now returned to a Golf Plus/Golf SV sized car.

The MQB platform is now used being used in all new Volkswagen Group cars from the VW Polo, to the Passat and new Touran, Skoda Fabia, Rapid, Octavia, Audi A3, A4 etc so I do not believe there are any fundamental suspension problems with it. (If there were, it would hit all VAG sales dramatically!!

The only point to be aware of are that there are two versions of the rear suspension depending on the power of the car's engine. For the SV, the 1.2TSI and 1.6TDI cars have the simpler torsion bar rear axle, while the 1.4TSI and 2.0TDI cars have the more complex multilink suspension. The same may be true of other MQB cars, but I haven't heard of any particular problems being attributed to either design.

Chris
    Yes, many thanks for that reply but nevertheless, the Golf MK7 forums, I had read, did report many cases of cars being returned for problems with the shock absorbers at the rear and modified replacements being fitted under warranty etc. Again, I do realise that the type of rear suspension is dependent on the model/engine chosen. It seems that, as the SV seems to suit my needs, I will just have to take the risk with respect to what I think may have been a problem.
    2016 Golf Match Edition 1.4 TSI 125PS 5dr

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have concerns about longer term reliability, you can always opt for the 5 year warranty option (which costs around the same as metallic paint for the SV!) I did this because of repeated muttering about the dry clutch DSG gearboxes failing just after the end of the 3 year warranty. But on my Golf Plus I've had no problems with it whatsoever and really loved its behaviour

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
    If you have concerns about longer term reliability, you can always opt for the 5 year warranty option (which costs around the same as metallic paint for the SV!) I did this because of repeated muttering about the dry clutch DSG gearboxes failing just after the end of the 3 year warranty. But on my Golf Plus I've had no problems with it whatsoever and really loved its behaviour

Chris
    Yes, in a way one can get the wrong impression from forums, as the worst aspects of any car or at least only those with problems are going to post on them. As a result some of us (including myself) become paranoid and often to the degree where we reject something that the majority have no problems with.
    2016 Golf Match Edition 1.4 TSI 125PS 5dr

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

Just coming up to our first 1,000 miles.

Getting in and out, OK.
    Head room is fine.
    Performance OK 0-60mph 8.9 sec
    Can average 50+mpg on a run.
    Around town/cold 30+mpg
    Passenger cabin heating great, unlike last car when the engine seemed get colder under certain driving conditions.
    Cabin noise is OK

Only complaint, front seat bases are bit to firm ......... fix with a foam seat pad.

All in all not a bad car, room for 4 large adults, performance when needed and economy when required, would like the fuel tank to hold another 10/20 litres of fuel.
    The front electronic differential lock works great when pulling out of side roads.

Just came back from a trip to IKEA, rear seats folded down and put the parcel shelf behind the front seats then loaded it fully to the roof, drive home was pleasant and the car returned 53mpg.

Regards MARK
    2015 Golf SV SE 2.0 TDI-CR, DSG, Stock

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey hey

Been brand new SV owner for a week now. Last car was Octavia mk3, but saddly i was in an accident and i didnt accept the car after repairs (Repair cost was 60% of the car value), so the dealer got me brand new SV.But since day two ive been haunted by Problems. Second day, morning i went to work. Turn on the engine and immideatly got TPMS, Traction control, Start stop system and auto hold errors aswell flashing parking sensor button with a beeping sound. Visited the dealer yesterday and they say that Steering wheel module (or some module what has something to do with the steering wheel) is faulty and gets faulty signal when i start up the car first time. Apparently module gets signal that voltage is belove minimum and gives all those errors. Funny thing is, driving like 100 meters all the errors go away and lights on dash go out. When ive been driving a while and start the car again, everything is fine. Dealer contacted the factory and got back to me today. Vw doesn't have a fix for it now and they dont know when its available. Dealer told me that they have two brand new fabias (mk3) ones at the lot right now with same symptoms. Funny thing is not all golfs act like that. Just wondering maybe bad module batch ? Dealer says module change wont help. Otherwise love the car. Nice roomie, feels good to drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, the parcel shelf stows away under the boot's false floor!
    2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like
    Over three years now since new and I have no complaints with this excellent and underrated car.
    IMO a bit like the Plus before it which was unloved by the motor media but unwarranted. A vast array of well kept Plus models over here so I believe their reputation was unfair.

Poor back and sore bones necessitated a bit of extra height and it has worked a treat. Getting in an out so much easier and very welcome.

I never use ACC or the apparent "fuel saving" gimmicks like stop /start and still get a creditable 48mpg when I do an occasional brim to brim. Otherwise the computer shows 52 but I accept the optimism.
    Love the comprehensive MFD features and the speed LIMITER which IMO should be standard fitting on all cars.

Good comment HHGTTG regarding posts from owners with certain adverse issues when the "silent majority" say little because they are satisfied.
    Took the 5 year warranty for peace of mind but couldn’t justify the cost of the uprated headlights, however I do find the O/E somewhat poor. I uprated the bulbs which was a noticeable compromise.

Long pause there trying to think why I wouldn’t buy another SV - but I can't think of anything.

I have a very close and long standing working relationship with a VW service manager and trust him to alert me to anything ontoward which may occur e.g. rear suspension problems? but I have not heard anything.

Personal opinions would stretch to fog lights, extra boot floor and parking sensors being options only when these are standard fitting on cheaper VW models.

Would I sacrifice the cup holders for a conventional handbrake? YES without doubt.
    Last edited by Sam&Anne; 08-09-18 at 22:43.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!