Thread: Fuel Pressure dropping quickly while sitting

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Pressure dropping quickly while sitting

I have a 2.8l vr that has been hard starting for awhile now and I have been trying to get it to pass emissions (it finally passed!) so now I have been able to take the time to check on possible causes. It was throwing the code for an o2 sensor which had been cut on the harness side so I fixed that and replaced the sensor because it was bad as well. The local vdub mechanic told me the crank sensor was bad so I replaced that to no avail. Today I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge using a bypass and the car holds at 50 psi while running and jumps to about 60 psi when the vacuum line is off the FPR. All that being said the fuel system loses pressure and drops off to a little less than 2 bar while sitting. Any thoughts?
    1993 Corrado 2.8 VR6

Post Thanks / Like
    The enriched fuel pressure with an ABV engine should be 4 bar, dropping to 3.5 bar with vacuum so your delivery pressure figures are spot on. As far as the holding pressure is concerned, according to the manual

"After 10 minutes the pressure must not drop below 3 bar"

If it does drop, the procedure is to change the fuel delivery unit, I can get these from Febi quite reasonably.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Would you be able to get a link to that? I haven't had a chance to see if one of the injectors is leaking but I don't see fuel dripping anywhere when I park it and look underneath. Another thing to note is when it had been running it starts right up again.
    1993 Corrado 2.8 VR6

Post Thanks / Like
    You will only see external leaks for fuel, if an injectors is leaking that leaks into the engine and you won't really see it. You could remove the fuel rail with injectors in place and pressurise the system and look for dripping injectors. This would make the engine start on 3 cylinders because the excess fuel has wet the spark plug with fuel.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have that fuel pump on my site at the moment due to eBay bringing in new listing rules that insists the parts listed are targeted using their expensive software so they can go and stick that where the sun doesn't shine! I know I can get them as I fitted one to a Golf 3 VR6 fuel tank that I fitted into a Golf 2 as I needed a 4 bar delivery rather than the 3 bar the later VR6 pump delivers. The pump is 129.98 inc VAT delivered.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had the day off and was able to spend some time under the hood. The closest thing I could think of to check the injectors without pulling the manifold and the rail was to let the car idle with the fuel pressure gauge on it then kill it and pinch the return line to see if the injectors hold pressure. It appears to me they don't but perhaps my logic is flawed? I would think that if the check valve was bad it would still hold pressure at the rail as long as the return line wasn't allowing fuel to flow back to the tank. Thoughts? I looked all over for external leaks but I don't see any nor is it dripping.
    1993 Corrado 2.8 VR6

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to pinch the feed, not the return.....

Vile Invention