Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2015 Recall camshaft adjuster pully

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

Really sorry for reigniting this thread but when you hear that my A3 1.2 TFSI has just dumped it's oil because of a camshaft adjuster pulley fault you may be more forgiving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170925-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	5797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170925-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	5798

I hope the pictures show the mechanism of fault, it would seem that the pulley bolts on the back of the pulley work loose, one has then hit the engine and been wrenched out whihc results in catastrophic oil loss.
    Clearly not impressed that this has occurred on a 27k engine.

I am very interested that this fault, whihc caused a recall in Australia, has also led to some Polos with the same engine being recalled in the UK.
    If amy of the posters above could give me more details of their dealers etc that performed the recall/remedial work I would be hugely grateful.

Thx,

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there, I have had a similar problem.

Basically oil started leaking out of the bonnet when we were leaving a car park and then the car started making a weird rattling noise. We called a breakdown mechanic out who came to asses the car and said the pully bolts had come loose, allowing engine oil to leak onto the timing belt area, which may have also compromised the engine. He immediately said we couldnít drive it as the engine could potentially blow up.

This happened randomly and considering the car is only 4 years old and has 13 000 miles on the clock it canít be down to wear and tear.

I'm just wondering it has anything to do with the recall mentioned in this post.

At the moment I am trying to get the VW dealership we brought it from to fix it as it might cost upto a £1000 to fix it all.

Has anyone ever come across something like this? Also has anyone got any advice of how I should approach VW about it as the car is just out of warranty?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ninja, could you PM me your cars reg?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Ninja, could you PM me your cars reg?
    Hi,

The registration is BG64VWD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ninja,
    You are a lucky man, I got no replies to my post and you now get two within 24hrs.

I think VW should pay out without problem. Have they responded to you yet?
    If not drop me an email, p_james_yates@hotmail.com
    Tell me when you bought the car and whether you bought it on finance or upfront from dealer.

In essence this was a worldwide problem with the cam adjuster pulley of the 1.2 TSi/TFSi engine across all VAG companies. There are loads of VAG recalls for this part which make it quite clear that the owners of the cars should be contacted and that VAG dealers should ensure that if selling secondhand the fix is applied.
    It sounds as though Crasher may have access to ErWin so may be able to tell you what recall Campaign your car is subject to and whether the fix was performed.

Jim
    2014 Audi A3 1.2 TFSI

Post Thanks / Like

Information required.

Hi,

Just wondering if you can offer any advise. The below has occurred with my 2014 TSI Golf 1.2 VW have quoted me £4500.00 for a new engine.
    VW Twickenham and VW UK and currently both giving me different dates on the service campaign! does anyone know when this was first bough to light?

my golf is 4 years old, 35k miles on its clock. I've owned the car since march 2017 - sold to me through a third party dealership which has now gone into administration on a finance plan.

Any information or advice would be 100% gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTurtle77 View Post
    Hi there, I have had a similar problem.

Basically oil started leaking out of the bonnet when we were leaving a car park and then the car started making a weird rattling noise. We called a breakdown mechanic out who came to asses the car and said the pully bolts had come loose, allowing engine oil to leak onto the timing belt area, which may have also compromised the engine. He immediately said we couldnít drive it as the engine could potentially blow up.

This happened randomly and considering the car is only 4 years old and has 13 000 miles on the clock it canít be down to wear and tear.

I'm just wondering it has anything to do with the recall mentioned in this post.

At the moment I am trying to get the VW dealership we brought it from to fix it as it might cost upto a £1000 to fix it all.

Has anyone ever come across something like this? Also has anyone got any advice of how I should approach VW about it as the car is just out of warranty?

Post Thanks / Like
    Prod me next week, I am on holiday and can’t look detailed things up from a cottage in Wales
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like

Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Prod me next week, I am on holiday and canít look detailed things up from a cottage in Wales

HI There, Just wondered if you could offer any advice?
    Thanks in advance - reg GM14 CMO

Post Thanks / Like
    An update.

I won my case with motorombudsman in May 2019, but still ended up 500 quid down

Interesting, there is now a safety recall from the DVSA for this pulley on the 1.2 Audi, but not sure if it covers polos/golfs or other 1.2 tsi engine.

Recall is R/2019/263

Should add weight if you have had a failure and go through the Ombudsman. If you do say hi to Natasha for me, she must hate my guts...but hey, I was right.
    I was also right about this being a safety issues but Martin Ryder at the DVSA dismissed my concerns in April 2018, so you can blame him is you have had a failure between then and now.

goodluck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12