Thread: Rear Mount Bikes on 2016 Touran

Post Thanks / Like

Rear Mount Bikes on 2016 Touran

Hi,

I'm hoping to the family out and about this Bank Holiday on bikes. I have 2 roof-mounted bike carriers for the grown ups, but I'm trying to find a rear mounted bike rack.

Halfords have a couple available if you search by the current model, but I cannot find anything official from Thule or anywhere else about compatible bike racks for the new Touran. I am wondering if the 'spoiler' above the rear window makes a rear-mounted bike rack off limits? Don't really want to get a tow bar and I don't really want to get more roof mounts (2 bikes plus roof box will be going up there).

Has anyone found a rear-mounted bike rack that works well with the current Touran, and which doesn't break anything?!

Post Thanks / Like
    VW offer three different system from 450 to 525 but they are all tow ball mounted and Thule don't do one for the 5T yet.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mickey. Your absolutely right. I found out only after damaging my car the top of the boot door is actually a spoiler. Mine is now bulged out after using the rack strap on it. Mind you did still hold the carrier quite well despite 200 miles return on the motorway.

Wish even more mine had a towbar on now, as towbar racks seem to be the best option.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    @MoOzi, When I bought my Touran I had a towbar fitted as mine didn't have the factory-fit one either - I saw this as a plus; it means you're transmission in particular may not have had such a hard life.

It was 620 to supply and fit (complete with electrics, which is an involved job on such a modern car compared to "back in the day"). It's made by "Tow Trust", not a make I've heard of but it appears to be a good strong, quality item - and importantly it's almost invisible when not in use. I now have a towbar-mounted bike carrier, although I haven't yet tried it out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1164.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	7419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1161.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	7420

Link: https://www.tow-trust.co.uk/towbars/volkswagen/touran
    Last edited by dj_ek; 14-07-20 at 08:16.
    2015 Touran SEL 5T 2.0 TDI-CR 150PS

2004 Audi A2 1.4 TDI-PD 90PS ATL