Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyres ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Volkswagen.de used to offer the option of "all season" tyres (which I'd have chosen had it been available here) but no longer does.
    My dealer reckons that they cam at least match KwickFit for tyres.
    I used "Black Circles" at our local Tesco for new tyres for SWMBO's Polo.
    2015 Golf SV SE 2.0 TDI-CR, DSG, climate, KESSY, parking, winter pack, dark rear glass, park assist
    Engine code: CRLB
    Gearbox code: QMM

Post Thanks / Like
    I had continentals fitted front new on my mk7 golf tdi and previous tsi. I thought they were excellent tyres. On my SV it has Michelin energy tyres. On driving on the duel carriageway my immediate impression was that the michelins were significantly noisier, that could be tyres or a characteristic of the car though?
    2016 Golf SV 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the Michelin 16" energy saver tyres on my skoda yeti for 12 months one of the worst road noise tyres I've ever
    encountered for cabin noise
    upped my wheel size to 17" and fitted cross climates one of the best desist on I've made on tyres

ime on the same quest again with the golf sv
    it's worse than the yeti was on 16" energy saver for road roar noise

can't decide wether to ditch the 17" dijons and go for a 16" rim with cross climates
    17" cross climates apx 140 each fitted. 16" cross climates 80 each fitted
    2010 Touran Match 1.9 TDI 14k
    Year???? Golf GT 2.0 TDI

Post Thanks / Like
    Well what a week
    I've got 17" 225 45 17 on my 2.0gt and wanted a set of winter wheels/ tyres on my SV
    so called into my local VW and they suggested I fit 16" aspen with 205 55 16 winter tyres so I had a look on flea bay
    and gumtree for a set of second hand wheels and tyres
    success I found and bought a really good set and fitted them to my car and after a week of smirking to myself on what a good buy ide got I thought I phone the insurance company to let them know what I've done And guess what
    they would not insure me because they thought it was a modification so I phoned 2 other insurance companies and they also said it was a modification and one wanted an extra 484 extra for the mod
    their main concern was that I've taken the original wheels off my car

any way I've bitten the bullet and bought a set of 225 45 50 cross climates Not to much quieter than the bridgestones but ime 3mpg better off

make sure you tell or ask your insurance company before fitting winter wheels and tyres and don't take it for granted that it will be ok
    2010 Touran Match 1.9 TDI 14k
    Year???? Golf GT 2.0 TDI

Post Thanks / Like
    If you swop to Michelin Cross Climates surely you don't have to inform Insurance Company?
    Would probably confuse them and prompt an opportunity to charge an excess on the confusion caused? Even the word 'Cross Climate' might spring them into action.
    Can understand to some extent with Winter tyres but also not, as surely a sensible move too.
    Would you be comitted to confirm you have switched back to Summer tyres or would they assume otherwise if you don't inform them? Seems common sense anyone fitting Winter
    tyres would switch back to Summer. Seems 'spec' changes are a nice little earner for them
    for 'normal' drivers as well as for 'boy racer' mods I thought they were intended for.

Seems a potential nightmare of getting it wrong.

Cross Climates cover W+S and have an '*' ice symbol so should be considered as a standard option tyre?

Any opinions?
    Last edited by kibby; 28-11-16 at 19:33.
    2014 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, 7A DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    With Insurance companies, they all have their own rules and restrictions! I'm with Liverpool Victoria and their website says the following:
    "Will putting winter (snow) tyres on my car affect my Car Insurance premium?

Published 18/03/2016 10.13 AM | Updated 15/11/2016 01.03 AM
    No, we don't view winter tyres as a change to manufacturer's standard specification (as long as they're the standard size and specification for your car and are in roadworthy condition), fitting them won't affect your premium and you don't need to let us know."

So as my winter tyres are the same size as tyres that VW fit to the Golf SV (ContinentalWinterContact TS830 195/65 15") then my insurance company takes the sensible attitude that I'm improving my safety rather than increasing my risk of having an accident.

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Michelin Energy tyres are wearing well!
    36,599 miles & 4.5mm front, 5.0mm rear which were swapped front to rear at 18,000 miles.
    Well pleased so the CrossClimates can be postponed for a good few months
    2015 Golf SV SE 2.0 TDI-CR, DSG, climate, KESSY, parking, winter pack, dark rear glass, park assist
    Engine code: CRLB
    Gearbox code: QMM

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Bridgestone Turanza 225/45 R17 fitted from new. Have done 12,000 odd miles so far. Fronts are down to between 5-6mm but I do a lot of "back road" driving with all the pot holes and rough roads that I imagine will wear the tyres quicker. I also have to join a major A road at a very busy roundabout so the traction control often kicks in when pulling away when I spot a gap in the traffic.

Grip is ok - not the best I have ever had. Can be a quite noisy when on "rough" tarmac.

I usually don't swap my tyres over so the fronts inevitably get changed before the rears, so usually have different sets front to back. Not a big problem I don't think?
    2015 Golf SV GT 1.4 TSI (100kW/150ps/147HP - Engine Code: CZDA). 7 Spd DSG. Aztec Gold. Alcantara Upholstery - Titan Black/Quartz. Dijon 17" Alloy Wheels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12