UK Volkswagen Forum banner

Mk 7 Multilink rear suspension noise

25K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  dack777 
#1 ·
Hi all
Forgive me if this has been done to death but I'm new to the Forum.
My new Golf mk 7 GT Edition (16 plate) has a bobbling sound from the rear over rippled road surfaces at up to about 30mph. Presumably it's there over this speed but obscured by normal road noise. After 6 months of poking about with it VW now tell me this is a "characteristic" of this suspension and say it has the "modified" dampers fitted and have virtually washed their hands of it.
Bit of a cop-out I think.
I've heard from some that changing the shocks to Bilsteins can cure the problem. Can anyone out there tell me if this is correct ?
Many thanks
Richard

#2 ·
Mine is the same, I'm starting to get used to it now and can blank it out most of the time! It's not good though and if I keep the car long term I might consider changing the dampers. I've read all the stuff on the site where the guy recommends the Bilsteins but unfortunately can't confirm that it works.

#4 ·
I've recently bought a 64 reg gti and I've got the same rattle in the back . I thought it was the boot hatch , so I've adjusted the rubber spacers several times but it's not cured the rattle. Ive checked everything possible in the boot area and underneath and there's nothing loose that I can find ? Ive read on here that it may be a suspension issue ? If that's the case surely it should be covered by VW, I've still got full vw warranty , is this a common problem with the suspension?

#6 ·
This may be of interest.
I've just had a reply from VW stating their position should I choose to change their rubbish dampers. They state that if I were to do so this would invailidate the warranty on the entire rear suspension unless I re-fitted VW items, which obviously is pointless as it's the VW items that seem to be causing the noise. They say that fitting non VW parts may "affect the fine build tolerences of the set-up". Pretty rich considering the rubbish set-up they appear to leave the factory with.!

#9 ·
Hi. I haven't changed the dampers as threats from VW about negating my warranty put me off a bit. I'll wait 'till that expires then have a crack. That said, one does grow used to the clonks and bangs. As an aside, my Golf makes a groaning noise from the engine on cold start. After much to-ing and fro-ing VW now say this is another " characteristic" of the car ..I'm begining to reconsider any further ownership of their products !

#10 ·
Took my Mk7 DTI back to my dealer today as I thought I could hear the knock that has been mentioned on roughish roads at slower speeds, which I could also faintly detect at high speed too. Technician came out with me and within a few minutes was happy to confirm that the knock was caused by rear shocks which will be replaced next week under warranty. So far very impressed by my dealers attitude, just hope replacements cure the problem.

#11 ·
That's good news Ian.
Will be interested to hear if changing the dampers for another set of VW OEM ones cures the fault.
I find it amazing how differently customers are treated by various dealerships. Mine, here on the south coast treats every complaint as a challenge to see how they can wriggle out of admitting there's a problem at all.
Maybe I should take my rattling Golf to your man !

#12 ·
Well I was really pleased bearing in mind that some owners have had a difficult time with dealers. There was absolutely no quibble with mine. Its going to be interesting to see if the OEM ones cure the problem, if not I am going to fit Bilsteins. I will report back next week. I will be doing a 200 mile round trip the day after the new ones are fitted so I will have had a decent chance to assess there performance.

#13 ·
Got the car back after taking it in this morning. I have had a good test run over mixed roads including those where the rear shocks were noisy previously and I ,am glad to report that the new shock absorbers on the back have completely cured the problem there are no more rattles, pops or other sounds, all I hear is the usual subdued thump over large bumps or potholes. So well done Robinsons VW

#15 ·
If they don't play nicely I suggest you contact VW customer services and get them on you side. I Am sure that they will do whatever it takes within reason to keep customers happy. Incidentally a member of my family oversees a franchise which has several VW dealerships so I know that to be true. You need to get the show on the road as he longer you leave it the less strong your hand will be.

#16 ·
Evening. I’ve also a 2013 golf 2.0 GT and I’m a garage owner. My golf does exactly the same when going over uneven road surfaces it sounds like the boot tray is rattling but I’m sure it’s in the rear shocks! As mines out of warranty are they aware of the issues with rear shocks and is it worth me contacting VW?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.