Thread: Selling advice: 1989 Golf Mk2

Post Thanks / Like

Selling advice: 1989 Golf Mk2

Hi all,

I'm planning to sell my 1989 Mk 2 Golf but I really don't know where to start with putting a price on it! I'm a complete novice when it comes to these cars. I love driving mine but know little about them really.

It seems the prices range from a few hundred to thousands, so I'd really appreciate some advice on the best way to go about getting it valued and any ideas as to what it might be worth. It's low mileage but I've read that the condition is more important than this. It's generally in very good condition but does need a bit of work.

It's a lovely car. Drives really nicely and it's been well looked after with only 2 owners - myself (woman in 30's) and my Gran who bought the car new and only ever used it for short trips into town. I've had it for a few years now and have just used it for daily commuting (30 mins), trips into town and the odd adventure further afield.

Here are a few details about the car:

• Mk2 Golf GL
    • 1989 F reg
    • 1.8 petrol
    • 53,000 miles
    • Calypso green, 5 door
    • Full service history and all original paperwork, user manual - only 2 lady owners from new
    • MoT'd until Jan 2018 and pretty much always passes with flying colours!
    • All original interior trim, wheels, interior mats, parcel shelf etc
    • Original engine, new battery
    • Sunroof
    • Electric windows

However, there are a few things that need fixing:

• Radio is broken - though think this could be fixed with a new fuse
    • Electric aerial is broken
    • Drivers side electric window doesn't work
    • Fan belt squeaks a bit
    • Ceiling interior just needs to be re-glued as it's coming away slightly
    • Heater doesn't work - just blows cold air

So I'm really not sure how much of an impact these things would have on the value and whether it's worth getting them fixed before putting the car up for sale. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsK View Post
    Hi all,

I'm planning to sell my 1989 Mk 2 Golf but I really don't know where to start with putting a price on it! I'm a complete novice when it comes to these cars. I love driving mine but know little about them really.

It seems the prices range from a few hundred to thousands, so I'd really appreciate some advice on the best way to go about getting it valued and any ideas as to what it might be worth. It's low mileage but I've read that the condition is more important than this. It's generally in very good condition but does need a bit of work.

It's a lovely car. Drives really nicely and it's been well looked after with only 2 owners - myself (woman in 30's) and my Gran who bought the car new and only ever used it for short trips into town. I've had it for a few years now and have just used it for daily commuting (30 mins), trips into town and the odd adventure further afield.

Here are a few details about the car:

• Mk2 Golf GL
    • 1989 F reg
    • 1.8 petrol
    • 53,000 miles
    • Calypso green, 5 door
    • Full service history and all original paperwork, user manual - only 2 lady owners from new
    • MoT'd until Jan 2018 and pretty much always passes with flying colours!
    • All original interior trim, wheels, interior mats, parcel shelf etc
    • Original engine, new battery
    • Sunroof
    • Electric windows

However, there are a few things that need fixing:

• Radio is broken - though think this could be fixed with a new fuse
    • Electric aerial is broken
    • Drivers side electric window doesn't work
    • Fan belt squeaks a bit
    • Ceiling interior just needs to be re-glued as it's coming away slightly
    • Heater doesn't work - just blows cold air

So I'm really not sure how much of an impact these things would have on the value and whether it's worth getting them fixed before putting the car up for sale. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!
    I would say that you should get these things fixed before you sell, and you clean and polish the car - you will get a much better price. Fuses can be replaced easily it may be the problem with your heater. Fan belt squeaks are a two mintue job.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in the country is the car?
    Did you mean Jan 2019 for the MOT expiry?
    Should fetch decent money if rust isn't an issue?
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Sunroof’s are not good news, if it is an original steel wind back sliding unit that is great, if it is a glass pop up accessory unit, that is a deal breaker, literally a car scrapper as they ruin the car and it is nearly impossible to find spares. Also at the moment new cables for the factory sliding unit are very very hard to buy new. New seals are still available from VW but are £83.36.

Electric window motors for the Golf 2 five door are VERY hard to buy new but it may just need a new switch and these are easy to get new from GSF, that is IF the windows are factory fitted and not a dealer fit system which was VERY common. Factory fitted windows had a special centre consul with a built in switch plinth, if the switch panel above the ashtray is raised and can be pulled away as a unit, the windows are not factory and this means all sorts of possible problems.

The roof lining issue is not just a glue back job as the foam backing falls off and makes any repair job look awful, this is now a common Golf 2 nightmare and it takes huge effort to put right meaning removing the extraordinarily fragile panel from the car and ultra gently removing the original material and replacing it with something new, VW Heriatge has the correct GTI material but it is a serious trial to apply and often just falls down again. I am not exaggerating when I compare the roof lining backing cartridge to Swedish cracker bread, in fact cracker bread is tougher! Before I remove the material I place the cartridge on a raised table to support it and keep its shape and then apply a thin wash coat of low viscosity two pack polyurethane resin to the panels reverse side to give it some strength, not too much resin though or it soaks through and bits of the old material stick forever. Which the material off I again give the cartridge a wash of polyurethane and when this has set I use high temp spray glue to apply the new covering, usually I use Alcantara.

The heater issue is common, if there are a pair of plastic and metal (7mm rubber hose) linked valves installed in the feed and return hoses, these often fail and block flow and you cannot buy new ones. These valves were a recall in the mid 90’s to deal with a heater matrix problem where they would burst and blow boiling coolant all over your feet and spray it in your face through the heater vents. In the 90’s I had this happen twice on customers cars and it is not nice! If the check valves are removed, the heater matrix MUST be replaced for the later stronger unit used in the late Golf 3 and early Audi A3 and that is a full day’s work.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: