Thread: Door lock, window, mirror issue

Post Thanks / Like

Door lock, window, mirror issue

I own an 07 Golf Mk5 right hand drive that has door, window and mirror issues at the moment.

The left side doors, passenger and rear passenger doors will not unlock or open in any way. The passenger side mirror can not be adjusted and the turn indicator light on that mirror does not light. The windows cannot be lowered either.

The fob works on the drivers side as does the side mirror adjustment and window adjustment.

Is this an electrics issue somewhere? I suspected the door loom but is this unusual to be happening on both doors?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing. Investigate components check.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had this last year on a 2007 R32 4 door. A few weeks earlier our bodyshop had fitted a new left rear door skin and everything was OK, it even went through an MOT test. We then had it back to do some suspension work after which it needed to go back to the body shop as we had found some more work that needed doing. I was backing out of the bay and noticed the left mirror was folded back so I tried to open the window to lean out and flick it forwards, but the window would not work. I got out and found the door would not open, the locking system did nothing, the mirror and its indicator did not work and to top it all, the rear door was also dead. I was bemused to say the least and a fault code scan showed

Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 3C0-937-049-23-H.lbl
    Part No SW: 3C0 937 049 AE HW: 3C0 937 049 AE
    Component: Bordnetz-SG H52 2002
    Revision: 00H52000 Serial number: 00000006441873
    Coding: E68F8B2700041000471400001400000000087B055C0001
    Shop #: WSC 00137 211 56823
    VCID: 6CD3F32B4F7A675EB2-8038

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1K2 955 119 E Labels: 1KX-955-119.CLB
    Component: Wischer 241106 020 0501
    Coding: 00038805
    Shop #: WSC 00137

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1K0 955 559 AB Labels: 1K0-955-559-AF.CLB
    Component: RLS 281106 020 0105
    Coding: 00207646
    Shop #: WSC 00137

2 Faults Found:
    01333 - Door Control Module; Rear Left (J388 )
    004 - No Signal/Communication
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01100100
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 180
    Mileage: 82042 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2005.09.13
    Time: 31:63:63

Freeze Frame:
    ON
    Voltage: 11.50 V
    ON
    ON
    OFF
    OFF
    OFF

01332 - Door Control Module; Passenger Side (J387)
    Freeze Frame:
    Date: 2005.09.13
    Time: 31:63:63

Freeze Frame:
    ON
    Voltage: 11.50 V
    ON
    ON
    OFF
    OFF
    OFF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 1K0-907-530-V2.clb
    Part No SW: 1K0 907 530 K HW: 1K0 907 951
    Component: J533__Gateway H04 0020
    Revision: H04 02 Serial number: 01110602000693
    Coding: FF3F034007000003
    Shop #: WSC 01387 785 00200
    VCID: 2F692427BEECDC46D7-807A

2 Faults Found:
    01332 - Door Control Module; Passenger Side (J387)
    Freeze Frame:
    Date: 2000.00.00
    Time: 22:04:35

01333 - Door Control Module; Rear Left (J388 )
    Freeze Frame:
    Date: 2000.00.00
    Time: 22:04:35

Address 52: Door Elect, Pass.
    Cannot be reached

Address 62: Door, Rear Left
    Cannot be reached

My initial suspicion was that the left rear door control unit or lock unit were at fault or the wiring, as it is completely operated by a LIN (Local Interconnect Network) signal provided by the front door controller which is combined with the window motor.

I accessed the left rear door wiring at the A pillar kick plate with the sill trim removed (which was a fun job with the doors shut) and accessed the four wires that go to the rear door, thick red/yellow which is the main power live from fuse 26, thick brown for earth, thin red/black from fuse 24 which is live again and the thin purple/white from the passengers door controller which carriers the Lin data signal which controls ALL the doors functions. I could not see anything wrong, I had a LIN signal and the wire had perfect continuity back to the door, anyway, it was the front door I was really worried about. The front left door controller has the LIN wire for the rear door, two fused permanent live power feeds from fuse 12 and 23 and two CAN (Controller Area Network) wires which carry the data from the central convenience system.

I was beginning to suspect the convenience unit but to get this out you have to remove the glovebox and to remove the glovebox, you need the door open! I decided to hot wire the front door controller signal to the lock by getting at the wires through the hole left by the door handle but try as I might I could not trick the motor into working.

Next a friend of mine help me to remove the passenger’s seat and then he managed to release the door card without damage just far enough away so that I could drill out the six speaker unit rivets and remove the speaker. Whilst he lay on his back he got his hand up inside the door and was able to disconnect the plug to the lock unit whilst I hot wire a new long lead plug from the driver’s door controller, so both door cards off! He was then just able to plug the extension harness in, I pressed the remote and the door opened.

As a test we then plugged the normal feed in and shut the door and operated the remote it, it was still dead so we hot-wired it again. I decided to try a new door controller and this made no difference. Now I could get the inconvenience unit out and fit and code in a new one which I did and it worked, the rear door opened and all the doors functions came back so I built it all back up and it was fine apart from I had forgot to match the remote to the new convenience unit. I tried to code it is and it would not have it no matter what I did, VCDS or VAS PC. In desperation I put the old one back in to make sure the remotes (I had both) were not the trouble and they worked but so did the doors and windows etc, I was stunned. I built it back up and all is well after a year as it is here again for annual MOT and some moods. No, I can’t explain it…
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post

I was beginning to suspect the convenience unit but to get this out you have to remove the glovebox and to remove the glovebox, you need the door open! I decided to hot wire the front door controller signal to the lock by getting at the wires through the hole left by the door handle but try as I might I could not trick the motor into working.

Next a friend of mine help me to remove the passengerís seat and then he managed to release the door card without damage just far enough away so that I could drill out the six speaker unit rivets and remove the speaker. Whilst he lay on his back he got his hand up inside the door and was able to disconnect the plug to the lock unit whilst I hot wire a new long lead plug from the driverís door controller, so both door cards off! He was then just able to plug the extension harness in, I pressed the remote and the door opened.

As a test we then plugged the normal feed in and shut the door and operated the remote it, it was still dead so we hot-wired it again. I decided to try a new door controller and this made no difference. Now I could get the inconvenience unit out and fit and code in a new one which I did and it worked, the rear door opened and all the doors functions came back so I built it all back up and it was fine apart from I had forgot to match the remote to the new convenience unit. I tried to code it is and it would not have it no matter what I did, VCDS or VAS PC. In desperation I put the old one back in to make sure the remotes (I had both) were not the trouble and they worked but so did the doors and windows etc, I was stunned. I built it back up and all is well after a year as it is here again for annual MOT and some moods. No, I canít explain itÖ
    Bit of a thread revival... but thatís interesting about basically removing and reinstalling the ccm and it working, Iíll give this a try When I get chance before attempting the what seems like a pain experience of replacing it

Post Thanks / Like
    And to this day the fault has not returned.... I fitted a new convenience unit to a Passat a few weeks back and this chnaged the ABS coding to a different value and something else, I can't remember what, and this made the car pull to the left and this is correct, WHY?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: