Thread: Victim of VW GOLF 1.4 TSI GT 160BHP turbo fault!

Post Thanks / Like

Victim of VW GOLF 1.4 TSI GT 160BHP turbo fault!

My baby 2009 Golf GT 1.4 TSI 160PS 88,000 MILAGE) has decided to be a victim of those common issues 1.4 tsi gt's suffer from. Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

Had abit of a fright when driving home last week, was in 4th gear got to 3200 revs, would not go over 3200! Went to overtake when car went into limp mode, foot totally flat on floor with no power, milage needle started to slip down to 40mph. No engine light come on. Changed into 6th gear car carried on as normal. So now I have no turbo!!! This is not happening all the time though.
    Took it to garage, free of charge on Delta diagnostics comes up with fault codes : P0444- Tank vent valve open circuit. Now I understand this is to do with evap system? Had this replaced over a year ago. Also fault code: P10A0 - Actuation regulating flap for intake air electrical malfunction. Is this possible blocked valve? N75 OR N249 valve??? My local (not VW) garage tells me this will be a 5 or 6 hr job just to get manafold off to investigate, just to see what problem is! Is this correct? Had bad experience taking to my local VW garage where I got ripped off & lied too! They had car 3 weeks & still didnt fix problem, so I'm very reluctant to go there again with this new problem.

Garage turned light off, took it for a spin,but it came back on again. Back on diagnostics same codes come up.
    Is this a turbo problem? Because it's not happening all the time could something just be dirty? Car not jumping or coughing/spluttering, starts ok. Im taking a risk buy booking my car in, cant get it for 2 weeks though, mechanic says he will look at it but he cant be sure he can fix it. He then says VW garage could possibly say the same. What ****** use is that to me??? I feel as though i'm going to cough up aloada money without problem being cured.
    2009 Golf GT 1.4 TSI 160PS

Post Thanks / Like
    VAG Error Code: 001092
    EOBD II Error Code: P0444

Fault Location:
    Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Control Valve (N80) - Open Circuit

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Fuse(s).
    Wiring/Connector(s) open circuit.
    Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Control Valve (N80) faulty.
    Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Fuse(s).
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Ohm test Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Control Valve (N80).

When is the code detected?:
    An excessively low voltage signal is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM) through the valve.

Description:
    The Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System canister purge volume control solenoid valve uses a ON/OFF duty to control the flow rate of fuel vapour from the EVAP canister. The EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve is moved by ON/OFF pulses from the Engine Control Module (ECM). The longer the ON pulse, the greater the amount of fuel vapour that will flow through the valve.

VAG Error Code: 004256
    EOBD II Error Code: P10A0

Fault Location:
    Control Circuit for Intake Air Regulating Flap - Electrical Malfunction

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Wiring/Connector(s).

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

Post moved to correct section.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

3. Likes GOLFYGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your car has gone into limp mode, so RPM will be limited - i doubt there is anything wrong with your turbo.

The cause of the 'limp mode' is not the EVAP fault - which is an issue that needs fixing but will not cause limp mode.
    The fault that's caused limp mode is 'P10A0 - Actuation regulating flap for intake air electrical' - which is the regulating flap for the air bypass of the supercharger.

People commonly misdiagnose the '004256 - Control Circuit for Intake Air Regulating Flap' error for N75 valves, or throttle bodies - as its an error specific to the 1.4 tsi twincharger engines and refers to a part that is not on any other engine.
    It is also often confused with the intake manifold swirl flap system that was found only on the earlier 1.4 tsi twincharger (170ps models) on the golf mk5.
    The 160ps models do not have the intake manifold swirl flaps - this is probably what the local garage incorrectly quoted for as is a much more lengthy job.

The fault is the V380 control motor which is part of the J808 regulating flap unit which regulates the amount of air that is fed through the supercharger - acting as a bypass regulator.

This is a 1-2 hour job to remove, not 5 hours. If you know what you are doing it can be done in less than an hour, i know as i have done it a few times to my car.

VW workshop instructions here on removal, the unit that is at fault is the J808 - regulating flap control unit.

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswag...ve_modulej338/

The whole unit (J808 regulating flap control unit) will probably need to be replaced, they are known to fail after as you come up to 100k.
    Part Number for reference: 03C128063B (when searching for that part, some people incorrectly describe this as a throttle body - it is not, it is an air control flap)

Of course check the wiring and the connector to it first.
    Last edited by blow; 17-07-17 at 22:51.
    2010 Golf 1.4 TSI, CAVD

5. Thanks Crasher, GOLFYGT thanked for this post
    Likes Crasher, GOLFYGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for your information. Manage to find someone who know's more about cars than i do, checks were done on pipes n valves as advised and a pipe was found about an inch long with about a 3mm split in it! Didn't take it to garage which I mentioned because I don't think they even wanted to do the work in the 1st place! Apart from try & rip me off about 500 & leave me 2 days without a car! Gordon the Golf seems to be running OK at the moment so we will see how we go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your reply and information. Sorry for not putting it in the right section. For future reference can you tell me which section I should have put it please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi can you tell me what hose you replaced

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, did you fix the problem yet?.. I have the same problem, error p10a0, sometimes works and sometimes the engine entry in limp mode, check engine is on.