Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First posts normally go in introductions...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete1 View Post
    Just cos you behave in the same way elsewhere doesn't make it any less daft.
    Now please crack on and delete my profile, thanks.
    I don't want to delete any member as Pete1 and Gazwould have posted useful posts. It would be a shame to loose you both. The problem is with this forum is the owner and main admin Rory doesn't do that much. I've sent him PM's and he doesn't even reply. Oh he has only replied to only one.

This forum doesn't have a forum rules thread which needs to be made by Rory no me. The other 2 forums do have forum rules. I added to one and asked the admin to add to another which he has done.

Gazwould uses the same other forum as myself. If Pete doesn't like my comments on new members making an intro. I'm sure he can Google Polo forums.

If you look in the intro's I welcome everyone, in fact I'm the only one that replied to intro posts.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what you're saying Keith, is that everything that's wrong in the forum/world is someone else's fault, and you're not going to change your approach.

All you need to do is drop the unwelcoming, aggressive line that you use on everyone who doesn't start with an intro and replace it with something that makes more sense, and conveys your requirements better. There's no need to tell people off, just show them what you want, and what matters to you. There's really no need either for a "after you were prompted" comment if/when they comply, just say thanks.

Let me suggest this instead:

"Welcome to the forum. It helps us to help you if you post loads of info about your car in an introduction thread here: Forum: New Members - Introduce Yourself Here before you get into asking us to solve any problem you may have. This will reduce the need for members to ask lots of questions to narrow down what they're dealing with before they can get on with helping you solve your problem. Useful facts are the exact model of the car, the year, the engine code and transmission code (see here: Data Sticker/Options Sticker and Engine Codes). Basically the more details you share at the start the better.

Also, and very importantly, when you do fix your problem, please come back and tell us what the solution was. Doing this will make the forum a better, more informative place for everyone. Thanks. "

?
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete1 View Post
    Also, and very importantly, when you do fix your problem, please come back and tell us what the solution was. Doing this will make the forum a better, more informative place for everyone. Thanks. "
    I could add loads of text why they should make an intro which will cover over half the reply. Its just a single statement if they are stopping on this forum to make an intro. Users on forums only want to read about fixes to their problems. If they don't post if the suggestions worked then I will add. You need to tell use if that suggestion worked. Forums are to discuss problems not just post your own and leave. Therefore no discussion.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123